It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed...

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
puzzled

It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed...

Post by puzzled »

Hi guys! This must be an old issue considering I don't see anyone asking about it. Firefox crashed so I got the message:
It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed and we were unable to restore a backup. Therefore we had to reset your filters and Acceptable Ads settings.
Please check your filter lists and Acceptable Ads settings in the Adblock Plus options.

The first time that happened the filter appeared by itself eventually, or maybe after I clicked something by mistake? Thing is it was working OK. Few days after it crashed again and now it's been without any filter lists, neither the blocked items I had added.

I wanna add them back manually but I have no idea what filters I was using before, neither if I should simply Google to read what people are saying about it.
I prefer playing it safe and ask directly in the ABP forum. Is there a way for me to know what filters I was I using before (actually my brother since this laptop used to be his) so I can install them back, getting the correct URL or even if there's no way to do that, is there a way to know safe URL's of filters lists to add? Or knowing which filters most people are using so I don't end up becoming a test dummy for someone.

The crashing and deleting is annoying yes, but I wish I knew how to work around it. Needless to say I know very lil to nothing when it comes to computers.
If by any chance this issue was solved and I'm being repetitive, please link me to the thread so I don't bother the forum with an already solved issue, thank you and sorry for the broken English!
mapx

Re: It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed...

Post by mapx »

1. You ca try using a new firefox profile (could be your current one is corrupt), install again ABP and see what happens.
or
2. Disable ABP, install another (very strong) adblocker: ublock origin (uBo) and see if works for you. uBo has the possibility to create a backup, so - even if something crashes - you can simply restore the settings (including the custom filters) from the backup.
puzzled

Post by puzzled »

mapx wrote:1. You ca try using a new firefox profile (could be your current one is corrupt), install again ABP and see what happens.
or
2. Disable ABP, install another (very strong) adblocker: ublock origin (uBo) and see if works for you. uBo has the possibility to create a backup, so - even if something crashes - you can simply restore the settings (including the custom filters) from the backup.
So sorry, I didn't click on 'notify me when a reply is posted'... I just read this! I'll give it a shot, thank you!
LiamA

Post by LiamA »

I've been noticing a similar problem too. When I start Firefox either the adblock filters won't load or are slow in loading. I'll have to close Firefox and reopen it to get adblock to work.
kdw

Post by kdw »

I get the same annoying message with every login but Adblock Plus does work without rebooting. There was a similar problem reported with the Microsoft Edge browser awhile back. Is Adblock working on a fix other than telling us to do a lot of work?
jimmybond

Post by jimmybond »

Hi - same issue here. Started a couple weeks ago. Running Firefox 66.0.3, WIndows 10, every time I open the browser I get that annoying error message (with the tab name saying "Installation successful!")
I do not even have any custom filter lists, just use ABP filters, EasyList, and Allow nonintrusive advertising

I have not tried creating a new Firefox profile but if this continues it'll be the ABP plugin that gets deleted, not my profile, as there are other ad blocking options out there...hope they can come up with a fix.

full error message: "It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed and we were unable to restore a backup. Therefore we had to reset your filters and Acceptable Ads settings. Please check your filter lists and Acceptable Ads settings in the Adblock Plus options."
Tokala

Post by Tokala »

I have similar issue, every time i close my browser, all my settings reset and all filter lists disappear. However when start the browser i do not get an error message or installation succesful notifycation. This happens on Firefox 66.0.3 on Win10. It started happening just a few days ago and i dont know the reason. It's frustrating to load all the lists on every restart, also it feels that adblock doesnt block all the ads that it did before.
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

I have a recent profile backup. What files do I need to restore from it to fix this?
luftwaffles

Post by luftwaffles »

same problem just started happening to me.
mapx

Post by mapx »

see above, try ublock origoin, test if you get same issues
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

"It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed and we were unable to restore a backup. Therefore we had to reset your filters and Acceptable Ads settings. Please check your filter lists and Acceptable Ads settings in the Adblock Plus options."

I get this every time I start Firefox 68 (Mac).
I reset the filter.
close Firefox.
open Firefox - and up cpmes the same message.
Does no-one at Adblocker have a fix for this?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Solution, for me anyway - delete adblocker plus from Firefox add-ons.
Then reinstall from adblocker ste.
All working now.
mike603

Post by mike603 »

I am also experiencing this with Firefox 70.0 and Adblockplus 3.7.

I am going to try re-installing Adblockplus.
goodmanndocs

Post by goodmanndocs »

thanks much for help and bless your heart. i was having issues accessing my site führerschein-online-kaufen.com and köpkörkort.com but now, the issue has been resolved :P :P :P