[Done] Easier Disable / Enable of user filters

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Hubird

[Done] Easier Disable / Enable of user filters

Post by Hubird »

As it stands there is no option to disable the user filters in one hit like what can be done to the filter subscriptions. I would like to see a tick next to the "Element Hiding Rules" and the "Advertisement Filters".

Also when selecting a group of filters space will disable / enable the selected group (which is all very well and good) left clicking will only disable / enable the one that was clicked regardless of how many are selected. I think the left mouse button should behave the same as space.

Also what do you think about separating the user sections from the subscription sections with some kind of heading ?

Notice I removed the top "Add Filter" option, I don't see the need for this, the button down the bottom works fine.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Right, that was on my list of things to fix - but somehow dropped off the radar. Thanks for reminding.
Adblock Plus Fan

Re: Easier Disable / Enable of user filters

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Hubird wrote:As it stands there is no option to disable the user filters in one hit like what can be done to the filter subscriptions. I would like to see a tick next to the "Element Hiding Rules" and the "Advertisement Filters".
Agreed, I remember Wladimir respond to another request like this. Said it was a good idea but he hasn't implemented it yet :cry:
Hubird wrote:Also what do you think about separating the user sections from the subscription sections with some kind of heading ?
It's a nice idea, discussed here: http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1207
Hubird wrote:Notice I removed the top "Add Filter" option, I don't see the need for this, the button down the bottom works fine.
Agreeing with this one too. Unfortunately it seems that thing will stay: http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 8519#18519
:?
Adblock Plus Fan

Wladimir Palant wrote:Right, that was on my list of things to fix - but somehow dropped off the radar. Thanks for reminding.
so, which parts of these suggestion can we expect?
Wladimir Palant

The first one - a way to enable/disable groups of user-defined filters.

The difference between mouse clicks and space button is there in most applications, see Thunderbird for example - mouse clicks generally don't apply to selections, for that you have to go to the context menu.

Separating user-defined filters from subscriptions will have the disadvantage that you won't be able to rearrange them any more, so I am not sure about that suggestion.

Removing the top "Add filter" - maybe, if there is a good reason for it.
chewey

Post by chewey »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Separating user-defined filters from subscriptions will have the disadvantage that you won't be able to rearrange them any more, so I am not sure about that suggestion.
I'm pretty sure hardly anyone rearranges filter groups.
There's no real need to, no technical reason for it (as filter order in the
window doesn't matter for processing), and probably only a minority is
even aware of the existence of the preferences window itself...

I don't see a problem here.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

mouse clicks generally don't apply to selections, for that you have to go to the context menu.
If multiple items are selected, It makes sense that what ever action you are going to perform you want to apply to all the highlighted items, otherwise you would have only selected one (regardless of weather space or left button is used).
Wladimir Palant

@Hubird: That's not how it works in the applications that I know.
Adblock Plus Fan

Wladimir Palant wrote:The composer window is meant specifically for cases where we have all the context information - like what exact address we want to block, which type it has etc. I don't think it can be useful when opened from preferences.
Wladimir Palant wrote:Removing the top "Add filter" - maybe, if there is a good reason for it.
Personally I think the filer composer window is much more useful due to the check boxes for advanced filter options.
Even for the experienced ABP users it can be useful to have those check boxes when you make a filter from scratch.

(I know I already suggested this in the other thread, but this is just to elaborate what I had in mind with the composer)
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Wladimir Palant

Right, fixed.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Another thought:

How about a different colour tick for filter subscriptions that have one or more filters disabled but are not completely disabled.

Yellow seems like it should ok. Red is quite often associated with something bad, yellow some small problems a green is good to go !!

Wladimir Palant

Good idea, I should do that.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

How about an option to Select / Deselect all the tick boxes under the "Apply to types:" heading in the advanced section of the filter composer.

I used the filter composer to make the following code:

Code: Select all

|http://www.eatmyshorts.net/files/*$third-party,image
And it took quite a lot of unticking !! If all the boxes could be unticked easily it would have saved a lot of clicks.
Wladimir Palant

Just in case nobody noticed: disabling groups of user-defined filters is possible in the current development build. Also, the top "Add filter" is gone. This leaves us with:
  • Separate user-defined filters from subscriptions - not sure
  • Indicate that some filters in a subscription are disabled - efficient implementation is problematic
  • "Select all"/"deselect all" for types in filter composer - need a way to add these without wasting too much space
Too bad that this is all mixed together in one thread, maybe I should make better use of the moderator functions...