a website that blocks you if your using adblock

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I hate those no copy / paste scripts... :x
tim98

Post by tim98 »

This must be embaressing for Da pw Insidur. Surely they must have read this thread. I'd be embarressed knowing that this is one of the most viewed threads on this site. It's nearing 6000 views.
LennyB

Post by LennyB »

This filer works for those that cant see the articles on the wrestling site.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

If they dont like people blocking their ads then maybe they should try a more ethical way of making money. Their rationale is that they need to pay bills so thats how they make their money. Well theres a million ways to make money on the web. Just because you say "dont go on our site then if you dont like it" doesnt make it ok to put crap on peoples computer. Obviously this isnt a comparison but sort of an analogy. If a drug dealer says "well then dont come down this street then if you dont like me selling drugs" that still doesnt make it ok.
j0eg0d

Post by j0eg0d »

I first noticed it at [url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk[/url].

I just stopped going there. It feels wrong to @@ sites that block ABP ^_^
"I'm Not God, I Just Look Like Him"
CinnamonPixie

Another site blocking ABP users...

Post by CinnamonPixie »

Here's how some are doing it:

Code: Select all

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">

setTimeout('detect_abp()', 10000); 
var isFF = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Firefox") > -1) ? true : false; 
var hasABP = false; 

function detect_abp() 
{ 
   if(isFF) 
   { 
     if(Components.interfaces.nsIAdblockPlus != undefined) 
    { 
       hasABP = true; 
    } 
    else 
    { 
      var AbpImage = document.createElement("IMG"); 
      AbpImage.id = 'abp_detector'; 
      AbpImage.src = '/textlink-ads.jpg'; 
        AbpImage.style.width = '0px'; 
      AbpImage.style.height = '0px'; 
      AbpImage.style.top = '-1000px'; 
      AbpImage.style.left = '-1000px'; 
      document.body.appendChild(AbpImage); 
      hasABP = (document.getElementById('abp_detector').style.display == 'none'); 

var e = document.getElementsByTagName("iframe"); 
        for (var i = 0; i < e.length; i++) 
        { 
           if(e[i].clientHeight == 0) 
            { 
                hasABP = true; 
            } 
        } 
          if(hasABP == true) 
          { 
           history.go(1); 
            location = "http://www.tweaktown.com/supportus.html"; 
          window.location(location);       
         } 
    } 
  } 
} 
</script>

Anyway around this sort of browser "hijacking" (they ARE forcing you to go somewhere you don't want to - and even more unethical folks could send you to some really nasty or dangerous places if they wanted to).
rick752

Post by rick752 »

I pretty much know how most of these work and will usually just post the fix (like the one that LennyB posted above). But I do not add those to the lists because I would rather watch users just get angry at sites like those.

Sites that do that actually have more to lose than to gain.
detrick

Post by detrick »

I've been off the pwinsider website for a few weeks since they added that code to block adblock but im back on thanks to this thread. All I need is a bare-boned, no images just text version of the site and now i'm happy! :D
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Honestly, the only reason I use ABP on PWI is because the ads are obnoxious and intrusive. They don't make me consider clicking the links or buying the ads, just the opposite, it completely ruins any idea of wanting to visit their advertisers. The content and writing is top-notch, but also isn't worth the subscription either. I realize they're in a tough spot, but when you choose to basically sell out to advertiser and let them basically run your site, I don't feel sorry for blocking their ads so I can resume enjoying the content.

Post by Guest »

That code only checks for ABP if it thinks you're using Firefox. If you go into about:config and change the UserAgent it'll solve the issue (with that particular script, anyhow).
lazertron

Post by lazertron »

My friend is an elite subscriber and he sends in stuff to the site on a consistent basis. His name pops up all over different wrestling sites too. Even he says that the elite content isn't worth it because they rarely break news anymore and the stuff that does break is up elsewhere within minutes or a couple of hours at the most but he's just used to having the sub and it's like a habit.
zeik

Post by zeik »

Kevin wrote:Honestly, the only reason I use ABP on PWI is because the ads are obnoxious and intrusive. They don't make me consider clicking the links or buying the ads, just the opposite, it completely ruins any idea of wanting to visit their advertisers. The content and writing is top-notch, but also isn't worth the subscription either. I realize they're in a tough spot, but when you choose to basically sell out to advertiser and let them basically run your site, I don't feel sorry for blocking their ads so I can resume enjoying the content.
basically what that says to people is that sites like the observer and the torch can run a subscription service and make money but pwi might not get as much traffic as they do so their subscription serivce isn't enough so they need to flood the free site with intrusive ads. thats probably the case here and i do feel for them in that aspect but sticking 20 or more ads and a bunch of scripts on the site isn't the answer.
phrostyboi

Post by phrostyboi »

simple fix, noscript
lester

Post by lester »

horrible website. wrestlezone, wrestling observer, and others give you the same info and more without the popups.
jeeves

Post by jeeves »

Looks like the cat and mouse game continues. pwinsider has found a way around the latest script. Have a look at this page where Adblock is blocked. http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=33392&p=1