Streaming cam site is blocking Adblock use

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
SueW

Streaming cam site is blocking Adblock use

Post by SueW »

I watch a live streaming cam website. I've been using AdBlock Plus for a few years now. This site has started their own ad blocking service for $5 a month. As of yesterday, they block my cam viewing and show this message:

"Our system has detected that you are using an ad blocker.

If you are not using an ad blocker on your browser and have received this message please contact us HERE
To view the Live cameras, simply disable the ad blocker and reload the camera page.
NOTE: You can exclude Africam and keep ad blocker enabled for all other sites. For more assistance please see our step by step guide HERE.
To accommodate all users we have created the Africam Pro Service for those who wish to watch the cameras uninterrupted with no video ads. For more information on the Africam Pro Service click HERE"

In other words, I can disable AdBlock Plus and watch the cams with commercials popping up every few minutes, or I can pay the $5/month for ad-free viewing. I'm furious! :x

Are they allowed to block AdBlock? If so, is there any way to get around this?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please repair your Caps lock
Wladimir Palant

Re: Streaming cam site is blocking Adblock use

Post by Wladimir Palant »

What's wrong with the answer you got three months ago? forum/viewtopic.php?p=49986#p49986
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

They are allowed to detect that particular resources haven't loaded and then infer that you're probably using some ad-blocking method; the most likely one happens to be Adblock Plus, so they'll probably guess that rather than the HOSTS file, a firewall or router configuration, an ad-filtering DNS service, a proxy server, Firefox's permissions.sqlite, Opera's urlfilter, Iron's adblock.ini, IE8's InPrivate Filtering, IE9's TPLs, etc.

What the maintainer of your filter-list(s) will most likely do is end up whitelisting the bare minimum needed for that site to continue to work.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I got the message even after disabling ABP :roll:
SueW

Post by SueW »

Wladimir Palant wrote:What's wrong with the answer you got three months ago? forum/viewtopic.php?p=49986#p49986
That was an entirely different situation. :)
SueW

Post by SueW »

Hubird wrote:I got the message even after disabling ABP :roll:
Are the cams still blacked-out for you?
brandom1

Post by brandom1 »

Hello Friend. I am very sorry what is happening to you. It is more than clear that these pages of cams want to get you silver blatantly. I don't think you can do much with adblock since to see the webcams you have to disable it because it blocks the loading of scripts and other add-ons. Unfortunately you have to pay them to remove the advertising and see the cameras or find another site. It is his way of earning money.
Emilie Robbins

Post by Emilie Robbins »

This site with live streaming receive some money from ad which shown for you