cannot block URL that ends in .gr##.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
paravantis

cannot block URL that ends in .gr##.

Post by paravantis »

How do I block an element on a news site that keeps appearing at the bottom of the home page with URLs like

capital.gr##.jwuybcda7pzn

The letters after the hashtags and the period change when the page is reloaded, but the capital.gr##. part does not.

Incidentally, the very same issue appears in news sites like

nytimes.com##.css-1cjwgk.egw6tc41

so my post might be of interest to users globally.

I have tried various filters based on the Adblock Plus help, but no success. uBlock Origin blocks such elements out of the box, without the need for any user filters.

Help would be appreciated.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: cannot block URL that ends in .gr##.

Post by greiner »

I assume you mean the cookie messages on those pages. Since those are not ads, you need to add a separate filter list for blocking those such as the "I don't care about cookies" list (see homepage or adblockplus.org/subscriptions). We are currently working on ways how we can help users with those messages without enabling that feature by default (see ui#513).

If you want to create such rules yourself, I'd suggest having a look at CSS selectors on Mozilla's Developer Network website (incl. attribute selectors). You can also learn more about writing filters in our Help Center.
paravantis

Re: cannot block URL that ends in .gr##.

Post by paravantis »

I have already installed an I don't care about cookies type of extension, otherwise I would get crazy over here in Europe.

I would still appreciate some guidance as to how I can create a filter that can catch a link like

nytimes.com##.css-1cjwgk.egw6tc41

The hashtag characters seem to throw the syntax checking into disarray, so I just cannot create an effective rule.

By the way, it's great you are working on this, it would really be a great help to users.