[Done] New Disabled Icon to match the new Enabled icon

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Gnintendo

[Done] New Disabled Icon to match the new Enabled icon

Post by Gnintendo »

The Disabled icon looks weird now that we have a new enabled icon, so why not make one to match?

Here's the icon I made:

Here's the image by itself:

Tell me what you think!
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I like it...
rick752

Post by rick752 »

+1 :)
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

the red cross looks a little to big compared to the tick
rick752

Post by rick752 »

fanboy wrote:the red cross looks a little to big compared to the tick
I was going to mention that too. I noticed after I sent my last post ... just a little too big.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

it looks like a delete icon to me... maybe there's something else that could transport the message that the filter/group is disabled?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

It is a little big but that is easily fixed.

Maybe something like:
(Also too big !!)

I still prefer the cross
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Dr. Evil wrote:it looks like a delete icon to me... maybe there's something else that could transport the message that the filter/group is disabled?
Maybe a red minus sign (-)?
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I like Hubird's suggestion. It's fairly universally recognized as well.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

It doesn't matter to me. As long as it is a good contrasting color and is easily seen when scanning a list of filters, I really don't care WHAT it is.

The whole idea of a red minus sign would mean that the string is now "subtracted" from the active strings. It is a nice, clean, easy-to-see icon that sizes well.

Although Hubird's icon is a good idea, it might be a bit "squishy" if its thickness was made to mimic the checkmark with such a small icon.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

True Rick, and the minus would be good too. I agree with Dr. Evil about the X looking like it's deleted.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

I vote for the status quo,

Active: tick
Inactive: darkend small dot.

A X means cancel or delete. Rather than a inactive state,
Plus and minus doesn't make sense when in an active/inactive. You're not exactly adding or minusing anything.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Hi Dogg. It's been a while, buddie. :)

I was just thinking ... wouldn't it just be better if the DISABLED filters were more prominent visually in the list? It would seem that ALL Filters in a user's list were meant to be enabled by default. What if all filters just had a simple, green dot with just the "disabled' ones being more graphically prominent? I, personally, would find this a much better way ... but that's just me.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

okay my turn for a mockup :)

I maybe a boring old fart who doesn't need disable/enable pics.. KISS, and use native boxes for the subscriptions, and use the current pictures for individual filters.

Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

rick752 wrote:wouldn't it just be better if the DISABLED filters were more prominent visually in the list? It would seem that ALL Filters in a user's list were meant to be enabled by default.
I agree with this point.
rick752 wrote:What if all filters just had a simple, green dot
Unfortunately, we tried this already...This is the current implementation in the stable builds and it doesn't work, we have too many threads where it turns out people aren't noticing this feature with just the green dot.
I think the fat green tick currently in the dev build is good as it is.
Gnintendo wrote:Image
My take on the red cross:
It's big and prominent, and that's good in my opinion. When I scroll up and down fast I'll appreciate a good contrast that stands out.
But like the others, I think some people could mistake it as a delete mark. Or maybe some kind of error mark and that there's something wrong with the filter.
I know that the column header specifically states "Enabled", but people aren't noticing this so we should avoid it if it could come off as a delete mark otherwise the user would just think all the filters he marks will become deleted once he presses ok or apply.

The icon for inactive filters needs to be something associated with "safe" so the user won't be afraid of what's going to happen when he clicks ok. The little dot (the mere absence of the green tick) fits the bill adequately.
But then again I also agree with Rick that the disable icon should be more prominent. Safe and non-dangerous looking, but prominent...Demanding demands huh? :P
fanboy wrote:KISS, and use native boxes for the subscriptions, and use the current pictures for individual filters.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/863/samplefg0.jpg
I wouldn't mind exactly how this one looks, but wouldn't this put us at the mercy of how good the user's firefox theme is?