[Done] New Disabled Icon to match the new Enabled icon

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Adblock Plus Fan wrote:I wouldn't mind exactly how this one looks, but wouldn't this put us at the mercy of how good the user's firefox theme is?
Exactly, makes ADP conform to the look, look more "native" to the end user. Using what ever theme is available isnt a bad idea, considering most other extension developers take advantage of it. :)
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

really its only a native box for the subscriptions, cant have thousands on native boxes for the filters?...would that be slower?

anyways, I was thinking something like this.. (mix of both the current and new)

Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Native checkboxes cannot be done - simply because XUL tree widget doesn't support them. However, the checkboxes on Fanboy's mockup look generic enough so that we can use them (as images). Unless there are some objections, that's what I will do.

Other question - do we want to differentiate checkboxes for subscriptions and checkboxes for filters? A while ago the checkboxes for filters were slightly indented to the right. Maybe we want this back?
Gnintendo

Post by Gnintendo »

I can make the X smaller easily (I will later,) but the other icon you suggested is too big and complex to conform with the design of the Tick mark as perfectly.

If you still want me to make something else I will, I'm just pointing that out.

I'll post a smaller version of the X as soon as I get it done.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

rick752 wrote:Hi Dogg. It's been a while, buddie. :)
Thanks, yea I've not been online as much last few weeks. I should be back on more now. Sometimes life gets in the way (don't ya just hate that). lol

On Topic: I think Fanboy's will work fine as well. What about making the empty box more bold so it will stand out more for a disabled filter(set)? Just a thought.
Wladimir Palant

Here is what I got now:

Edit: Cleaned up the images and tweaked transparency.
Edit2: Pushed: http://hg.mozdev.org/adblockplus/rev/7e35431c435c
Wladimir Palant

Wladimir Palant wrote:Other question - do we want to differentiate checkboxes for subscriptions and checkboxes for filters? A while ago the checkboxes for filters were slightly indented to the right. Maybe we want this back?
Tried this - looks ugly.
Gnintendo

Post by Gnintendo »

OK, good, my main point was if you're going to change one of the icons, you need to change the other to match, and currently, that's the case.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2654
Wladimir Palant wrote:Text removed - please stay on-topic
Wladimir Palant

Hubird: How about we keep each discussion in one topic? Ideally, we would also discuss one suggestion per topic. I already explained why implementing this feature isn't quite straightforward.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Other question - do we want to differentiate checkboxes for subscriptions and checkboxes for filters? A while ago the checkboxes for filters were slightly indented to the right. Maybe we want this back?
I know you decided against having them "slightly indented" but I think some way to "differentiate checkboxes for subscriptions and checkboxes for filters" is an excellent idea. It makes it easier to glace and the window and know exactly what is going on.

With subscriptions you have a bit of a gap between the main tick box and the filter tick boxes because of the subscription update details but the user created filters don't have this and it makes it even harder to tell them apart.
Wladimir Palant

Yes, and it is that gap (and comments) that makes indented checkboxes look ugly. Any suggestions on how to differentiate better? I would like to prevent using different images for filters but it can be done if it makes sense.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

how about move the subscription ticks to the left, and keep the filter ticks to the right?
Wladimir Palant

fanboy, there isn't much space on the left. Moving filter checkboxes to the right is what I tried - looks ugly and is still not quite obvious because of the gaps (subscription description and comments).
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

how about make subscription headings in bold?