[Done] Visual indication for elements with disabled filters

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
cubefox

[Done] Visual indication for elements with disabled filters

Post by cubefox »

Since Adblock Plus 1.0 we are able to disable a filter in the "blockable items list" quickly by right clicking on the blocked item.
This is very useful if a site doesn't work with your filter list, you can disable actually used filters to see which filter interferes.

But if you disable a filter in the items list (and you find out that this filter is not interferingg) it could be VERY hard to find this element again to re-enable the filter by right clicking the element. This is beacause there is no visual indication ("state") for such elements. At present (if you not kept it in mind), you have to right click on each element and look if there is an entry called "Re-eneable filter x"...

Maybe the element with the disabled filter should be higlighted in a additional color (similar to the red blocked elements). Or maybe the filter in the filter collumn should not get hidden if this filter get disabled, but only viewed grayed out and a comment behind the filter like this: [filter disabled].

Anyway, a visual indication of elements with (recently?) disabled filters would be very helpful.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Currently, testing whether the item matches a disabled filter isn't a very fast operation. Ok, this could be changed relatively easily (we would display a "random" matching filter instead of the shortest as it is now). However, when should the list check whether there is a matching disabled filter? I guess, when the item is added. Filters might change and this information will become outdated. Of course, the information for blocked items doesn't get updated either, so we could just ignore that problem...
Wladimir Palant

Done: http://hg.mozdev.org/adblockplus/rev/94029fbf379f

Will create a development build shortly.
Stefan

One wish or question...

Post by Stefan »

Removed: Please do not hijack forum threads, especially not in Future Development forum. Post your question in the General forum and you will get an answer.
cubefox

Post by cubefox »

Thank you. :)
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Now that sorting of the blockable items list is default sorted by state, would it make sense if items that matches a disabled filter gets its own State?
In my screenshot example I imagine it gets its own icon and after a page reload, it should be placed just below the green whitelist entries.
Right now they just get mixed alphabetically into the unfiltered group.
Wladimir Palant

Yes, I thought about that as well, would make sense. I am only unsure about the icon.
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I am only unsure about the icon.
If you choose to change it, I think it should somehow look related to the little grey dot. On the other hand, maybe it's more logical if they don't get a new icon...
Just let them have the same icon they have now, the same as unfiltered elements. It's enough if they are listed right below the green whitelists.
Wladimir Palant

Having the same icon but different sorting isn't good - it makes sorting work in an unexpected way. Also, I think the items with disabled filters should go under the blocked items - they are basically the same as not matching any filter at all. Edit: Noticed that whitelisted items are actually shown under the blocked ones. My bad, we actually mean the same thing.

I moved the unrelated discussion to this thread: http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3226
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wladimir Palant

Tried some image filters, here is what I got:

Wladimir Palant

smk

Re:

Post by smk »

nice, always wanted this feature :)
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Is it possible to make this work also with element hiding filters?
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

OK, thanks Ares.