I reverted back to 0.7.5.5...

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
n/a 0_o

I reverted back to 0.7.5.5...

Post by n/a 0_o »

I didn't like version 1. I couldn't get a drop down list showing the different page elements available for blocking. That was how I blocked everything! Right click doesn't work for flash.

Now I have to ask why in the world you removed that, it was the only thing that made ad block useful.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_basics#objects

And - no, it wasn't useful. Actually, it was a very inconvenient way of blocking something.
N/A 0_o

Post by N/A 0_o »

That is your opinion.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Please take a look at the changelog and see if you can give it another chance:
http://adblockplus.org/en/changelog-1.0
There's a lot of other good features, changes and bugfixes that made it to this version.

In my opinion, the blockable items list, ctrl+shift+V, is much superior. You get an overview of all items, neatly sorted in hidden elements/blocked/whitelisted/filter disabled/unfiltered. You get the searchbar there to filter a specific url pattern, or you could filter a specific category like Frame or Object-subrequest.
Also also get the ability to analyse the page for 3rdparty 1x1/1x2/2x2 webbugs.
All you need to do is temporarily have it sorted by the Size, then revert back to whatever sorting you personally prefer afterwards.
The sorting by State in the Blockable items list is also superior for when you need to make whitelists for a certain group of items since all of the blocked items are grouped together for easier overview of what to unblock.

And I forgot to mention the new filter composer:
http://adblockplus.org/images/73.png
It can be initiated from the Blockable items list.
n/a 0_o wrote:Now I have to ask why in the world you removed that
I just listed some of the good reasons that are speaking for the usage of the Blockable items list as the superior alternative.
Your turn, list your reasons for why this dropdown list hidden away in the Preferences menu is better than the Blockable items list.
theinvoker

Post by theinvoker »

Adblock Plus Fan wrote: And I forgot to mention the new filter composer:
http://adblockplus.org/images/73.png
It can be initiated from the Blockable items list.
Nice but it would be even better if he could remember the choice i make in "models" section or choose the first one by default because when i want to block an image i usually want to block only that one or maybe 2-3 more but not all from a specific domain.

i hope you understand what i mean
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

theinvoker wrote:Nice
I think so too, it's not shown in the screenshot but the real awesome part is hidden in the Advanced View button. With this, even inexperienced ABP users now has more control over ABP's capabilities than ever.
theinvoker wrote:it would be even better if he could remember the choice i make
I'd rather prefer an about:config option where we can specify our own default choice.

theinvoker wrote:or choose the first one by default
This will not happen I think.
Before this change was made, we had lots of people complaining that ABP "doesn't work".
And the reason? People don't know they can use wildcards, and they apparently don't know that adservers can rotate their banners.

So this is why it's like this. Although I feel the same way as you, ie. it's annoying to change the option every time when you just want to block 1-3 items.

EDIT:
theinvoker wrote:the first one
Also, what you really want for default is the last one. Even the first option sometimes crop the url, depending on the pattern. The one with the custom field is the one you want, if you want the behaviour from v0.7.5.5
Just passing

Post by Just passing »

Argh, please do at least allow us to set the default option, this is stupid. I often just block one or or a few images and several times I miss this new "feature" and end up having to edit the filters.

Can anyone please tell me where I can find v 0.7.7.5 until this issue is fixed? Thanks.
Wladimir Palant

See http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3232 - this is on my plan for 1.0.1.
Just passing

Post by Just passing »

Yay! Thanks! :D

Sorry if I seemed a bit abrupt, been using the program since early on.
Twoodle

Re: I reverted back to 0.7.5.5...

Post by Twoodle »

n/a 0_o wrote:I didn't like version 1. I couldn't get a drop down list showing the different page elements available for blocking. That was how I blocked everything! Right click doesn't work for flash.

Now I have to ask why in the world you removed that, it was the only thing that made ad block useful.
Unfortunately I concur with this. This is a step backwards for most colleaguesI have talked with. The revised method may make more sense when you are constantly immersed in it; but for the end-user who wants convenience, the new methodology while having more flexibility, it is very cumbersome for quick access.
Wladimir Palant

Can you explain? Most of the time people want to block the source of ads, not a single ad (which will change anyway when you reload the page). Adblock Plus makes that a lot simpler now.
SlimShady

Post by SlimShady »

You could save the 'last option' for the next time the dialog opens?
Wladimir Palant

@SlimShady: Sounds like something that can be pretty annoying - you cannot rely on the default any more because it changes whenever you decide to choose another option (which isn't necessarily something you will do again).