ABP makes it possible (downloading flash video)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
asdf

ABP makes it possible (downloading flash video)

Post by asdf »

ABP makes it possible to download collegehumor.com videos. Since some change a while ago, sites like keepvid.com and videodownloader.net haven't been able to snatch videos from college humor anymore.

I just figured out trying to see something about ads on the site, while I was watching a video, that ABP detects the video .flv files as an "object subrequest."

Ha! You can download again.
SlimShady

Post by SlimShady »

True that! I have been thinking of creating an extension.
But I also wondered if the video-download extensions on AMO already do this.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Yeah it's awesome. ABP and UnPlug are the 2 extensions I use for this purpose.
Unlike most video downloading extensions, these 2 handle everything from your computer and this is good because:
You don't have to rely on preconfigured proxies to have current and up-to-date settings for each supported site.
You don't have to rely on the up-time of those proxies.

tip: You can use the search bar on top of the Blockable items list. "subrequest" is a good search word. ".flv" is also a good search word.
adsf

Post by adsf »

@adblock plus fan:

Sadly, Unplug hasn't been getting collegehumor.com videos for me. Does it work for you? I have the latest version in existence, I think -- 1.6.06
Adblock Plus Fan

adsf wrote:Sadly, Unplug hasn't been getting collegehumor.com videos for me.
Yeah it's not working there for me either. Actually it's been a long time since I remember last using it for something ABP couldn't do... ^^;;

I guess there was once upon a time when I used it to identify streams from rtsp:// and mms:// and stuff like that. (and later use those streams on capture apps)

Well, for flash streams, it's still usable on most sites, but yeah +1 goal for ABP :P
asdf

Post by asdf »

Know what else somtimes helps download vidoes?

Noscript + redirect remover.

if a flash movie player is just something like ...swf?file=videourl , noscript is already forcing it into a linked placeholder, then redirect remover scubs it to a direct link to the video file.

Drag'n'drop !
Adblock Plus Fan

Bumping old thread to share this little trick that just dawned to me.
All thanks to this feature: http://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3207

We can actually "bookmark" important items in the blockable items list.

Like this:
In this case I have the most desired item from each page, the videos, at the top of the unfiltered items.
It should be obvious what I did, explanation just in case:
1. I block the videos with precise enough filters so that only the videos themselves get blocked, in this case ".media.collegehumor.com/collegehumor*.flv" and "http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id="
2. Go into Preferences menu and disable those two filters through their check boxes.

And voila, configuration done. Every time you open the blockable items list on those sites, you'll have the important items of your choice at the top of the list.
No need to use the search bar any more when you need to download a flash video.
Aerik

Post by Aerik »

Nice.

The $object_subrequest suffix can help make those filters easier to create, too.
Adblock Plus Fan

With the latest improvements in the ABP development builds, the new separator placeholder feature, I've revised my filters a bit and managed to replace a lot of my own video bookmarks with these three filters:

Code: Select all

$media
.flv^$object_subrequest
.mp4^$object_subrequest
I figured since they are disabled to make the bookmarking work, it's completely fine that they are unoptimised filters. Even though there's still a lot of sites naming their files irregularly, the new feature can still bookmark most items while still remaining quite specific enough.