Easylist Vs. Noscript?!

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
asdf

Easylist Vs. Noscript?!

Post by asdf »

OK. So recently, Giorgio Maone released a build of noscript that was breaking several other content-blocking extensions, most notably adblock plus.

NoScript forum members were quick to point out that this was happening. I pointed out just how bad it was by showing how it broke several other extensions as well.

two updates were issued, fixing the glitches. Things should've been fine, right?

-----------------------------------

Apparently not. OK, I'm with some of you in that I'm extremely suspicious that NoScript's so-called "glitches" only activated on sites that support noscript development. But I gave Giorgio the benefit of the doubt.

But some of you have not. According to the development version page at noscript.net/getit , EasyList's author(s) have launched a campaign specifically against noscript.net, hackacemix.net, flashgot.net, and informaction.com .

Is this true?

This is important because Giorgio has responded with what even I consider a major breach of ethics by including in his newest build a mandatory filterset whitelisting his sites (but you can disable them -- allegedly. I'm not trying the build).

Imagine if every extension author did this. What a cluster**** that would be, right?

I want to call a truce between easylist and noscript, but I will have to side with easylist because of one thing: noscript's "glitches" were specific only to Maone's sites. It really does seem suspicious.

Giorgio you have some 'splaining to do before a cease-fire can be called.
Adblock Plus Fan

Re: Easylist Vs. Noscript?!

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

asdf wrote:cease-fire
It's already in place as far as I can figure.
As of this writing, the redirects to circumvent Easylist has been removed and the filters targeting Giorgio's sites has been removed.
asdf wrote:This is important because Giorgio has responded with what even I consider a major breach of ethics by including in his newest build a mandatory filterset whitelisting his sites (but you can disable them -- allegedly. I'm not trying the build).
I don't think there's anything that can be done about this. If I'm guessing right, the whitelist is made in preparation for this: http://adblockplus.org/development-buil ... king-added
Since the Easylist circumvention only has limited lifetime left.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

asdf wrote:So recently, Giorgio Maone released a build of noscript that was breaking several other content-blocking extensions, most notably adblock plus.
Wrong. Recently, Giorgio Maone released a build (or three) of NoScript that contained obfuscated code to go specifically after Adblock Plus and manipulate it in such a way that ads on Giorgio's sites can no longer be blocked. That's not a speculation, I found that code and analyzed it - and asked Giorgio to remove it immediately.
But some of you have not. According to the development version page at noscript.net/getit , EasyList's author(s) have launched a campaign specifically against noscript.net, hackacemix.net, flashgot.net, and informaction.com .
That's only one part of the picture. Giorgio's sites used tricks to prevent Adblock Plus from blocking ads there. EasyList author decided that this went on long enough and blocked specifically Giorgio's ad scripts on these sites. At which point Giorgio decided to use more tricks - which resulted in more site-specific rules on EasyList side.
This is important because Giorgio has responded with what even I consider a major breach of ethics by including in his newest build a mandatory filterset whitelisting his sites
I agree - even though this is still much better than his previous solution (which I would consider as malware given that it manipulates an unrelated extension without even informing the user). Not that any of this is really new - NoScript has been shipping with whitelists for Giorgio's own sites for years. At some point I even demonstrated that these sites are susceptible to XSS attacks and put users at risk - just for the sake of displaying Giorgio's ads.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Adblock Plus Fan wrote:As of this writing, the redirects to circumvent Easylist has been removed and the filters targeting Giorgio's sites has been removed.
You're halfway right. The redirects have been removed, but the seven EasyList filters which target Giorgio's sites still remain and break some of the content that isn't ad related. Reported by MonztA and me in the EasyList and NoScript forums.
Adblock Plus Fan

Alan wrote:and break some of the content that isn't ad related.
Actually they don't
If you examine the blockable items list, you'll see the scripts that are blocked are what's supposed to be blocked to begin with.
Alan wrote:but the seven EasyList filters which target Giorgio's sites still remain
Yeah I guess I spoke too soon without examining it closer in the list itself. But in any case as you can see from the screenshot, none of the currently active filters are targeting. Then at this point, I assume the request of removal of those filters is more of a symbolic thing? Because none of his locally served scripts are being blocked.

As it stands the filters in Easylist doesn't hit anything and are essentially useless so they'll probably get removed soon.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I think you're looking at the wrong page, Fan. Look at the NoScript get it! page. The link to the development build is hidden by one of the filters. It is blocked by noscript.net#*(href*=informaction.com)(href*=noscript). Reported by MonztA at http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?p=15169#p15169 two days ago.
Adblock Plus Fan

Alan wrote:The link to the development build is hidden by one of the filters. It is blocked by noscript.net#*(href*=informaction.com)(href*=noscript). Reported by MonztA at http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?p=15169#p15169 two days ago.
Works fine for me...
Maybe it's because I'm using version 1.9.2.2 which might have crippled ABP so element hiding doesn't work?
Either way your point stands I guess.

So I was wrong, it's still going on:
The stable/official noscript build is still crippling ABP.
And the Easylist is still retaliating the sites.
But it's just a matter of time before these both are resolved in the end.
reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Recently, Giorgio Maone released a build (or three) of NoScript that contained obfuscated code to go specifically after Adblock Plus and manipulate it in such a way that ads on Giorgio's sites can no longer be blocked.
I tried NoScript yesterday and noticed that ads on the author's web site were not blocked. There being no way to block them I immediately removed that extension never to be reinstalled.
McGyver008

Maone seems to look for a better 'donation'...

Post by McGyver008 »

Well, as long as Maone don't realize that he made a mistake becoming corrupt, his AddOn's are suspect for me in every aspect. I often found that people with such an understanding of integrity and trust 'develop' their rare point of view... and not always in a way to become trustworthy again. Corrupt people usually don't even realize their sickness, which makes some of them becoming much more than only a nuisance (since they believe in their so called 'rights').
Egoism is sick!
Fox

Post by Fox »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
asdf wrote:So recently, Giorgio Maone released a build of noscript that was breaking several other content-blocking extensions, most notably adblock plus.
Wrong. Recently, Giorgio Maone released a build (or three) of NoScript that contained obfuscated code to go specifically after Adblock Plus and manipulate it in such a way that ads on Giorgio's sites can no longer be blocked. That's not a speculation, I found that code and analyzed it - and asked Giorgio to remove it immediately.
I wanna be the only one who add filters/filter subscriptions.
This feels like a security hole.
Can you make sure that other addons can't add filters.
Adblock Plus Fan

Fox wrote:I wanna be the only one who add filters/filter subscriptions.
This feels like a security hole.
To clarify, the part you quoted refers to code in Noscript which cripples ABP.

It is unrelated to the new Aids that Noscript is now injecting into ABP. Two different issues.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Maybe i quoted wrong thing.
But there is currently NoScript filter subscription in my Adblock Plus.
Sure i can disable that subscription.
But this feels like a security hole, because i did not add that subscription, NoScript did.
Adblock Plus Fan

Fox wrote:But this feels like a security hole, because i did not add that subscription, NoScript did.
Yeah, I understand how you feel.

To add to your concern, you can't even delete the injected Aids, it'll reappear after a browser restart. You can only keep it disabled.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

When you install an extension in Firefox, you basically give it permission to do anything on your computer. ABP could try to make things harder for other extensions (and I think it would be a good move if ABP started to prompt the user when other extensions added a subscription just as it is asking when the user manually adds a subscription). But in the end there's no way to prevent other software from tampering with Adblock Plus...
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Dr. Evil wrote:When you install an extension in Firefox, you basically give it permission to do anything on your computer. ABP could try to make things harder for other extensions (and I think it would be a good move if ABP started to prompt the user when other extensions added a subscription just as it is asking when the user manually adds a subscription). But in the end there's no way to prevent other software from tampering with Adblock Plus...
Looks like this is already done...
Changed the way “add subscription” links work, these can now only be triggered by user clicking a link
Quote from http://adblockplus.org/development-builds/