[Done] Better privacy for ABP - suggestion

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

ziutek wrote:Do you have a public version of your todo list somewhere? I think it could be useful.
Future development forum is sort of my to-do list. The real list isn't very useful - it is mostly a collection of links to make sure I don't forget anything (currently, it mostly lists issue reports that need investigating). And it doesn't really say which point is meant for which version - that's simply something I decide for myself and re-evaluate quite frequently. I am not sure whether making it more formal is worth it.
Wladimir Palant

Forgot to mark this one as done: http://hg.mozdev.org/adblockplus/rev/45a649d7b4bc
(has been in the last two development builds already)
Parson

Post by Parson »

Forgive me if I bug again but since you pointed me to this thread I'm even more confused.

You said above that the ABP hit statistics has a very low privacy impact.
But if so, why is the user forced to clear it each time the browser history is cleared?

Please consider making this an option (hidden pref, if you like).
Wladimir Palant

That was my original thinking - however, particularly for element hiding filters (and for other domain-restricted filters that are increasingly used now) this is not true. If the filter only matches on one domain the last hit date gives away when you visited that domain last time - this is basically the same kind of information that you have in your browsing history. I am not sure what your reasons are for clearing browsing history but I guess that the same reasons should apply to ABP hit statistics.
Wladimir Palant

By popular demand, there is a hidden preference extensions.adblockplus.clearStatsOnHistoryPurge now to control whether statistics are cleared when browsing history is purged: http://hg.mozdev.org/adblockplus/rev/dcf163d713b7
Parson

Post by Parson »

Wladimir Palant

Adblock Plus 1.1 is out, I'm closing this topic. I moved the follow-up question from Reve to a separate discussion: forum/viewtopic.php?t=4273