Adblock Plus not working after installation

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
cutandpaste

Adblock Plus not working after installation

Post by cutandpaste »

Wladimir Palant wrote:guest04, this usually helps: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... sion_files
I've tried even removing my profile and starting over, with no success. I've been researching this problem for some time before coming here; the closest I can find to a positive result is documented at http://cnx.com/?p=1183 but that didn't work for me, either.

With Adblock Plus installed, I get a resizable (but empty) frame at the bottom of the Firefox window. I don't get an Adblock Plus icon in the upper-right. Eventually, my Firefox Tools dropdown menu turns to mush, and has a positively huge amount of whitespace -- so much so that I can't even get to the Tools -> Add-ons menu without starting Firefox in safe mode. The right-click context menu turns to goop, too. And ctrl-refresh, instead of refreshing the cache, quietly opens the current URL in a new tab.

Yes, things here are very broken. I'd been using Adblock Plus for years. At some unmemorable point, I noticed how broken it was. I searched, I dug, I uninstalled a bunch of add-ons (keeping ABP, of course), and then in desperation nuked my profile and started over clean (except for my bookmarks, which I exported and reimported afterward). I then carefully installed my add-ons, one by one, and it's very plain to me that this behavior begins as soon as ABP is installed, and that everything is fine as soon as ABP is removed.

System is Vista Business x64. Have tried ABP 1.1, and the latest development build. Have tried FF 3.5beta4, FF 3.5.1, and FF 3.5.2, all of which were standard 32-bit builds from the Firefox web site.

Anyone?
Hubird

Re: not compatible with FF 3.5.2

Post by Hubird »

I do not know how to fix your problem but I would remove all versions of Firefox completely from my system (including all profiles) and start fresh with the latest stable release. I would not even restore my bookmarks until I have verified if ABP works as intended or not.

Also keep in mind that certain extensions have been known to cause trouble with ABP. From memory these include Microsoft .net Firefox extension, Skype extension and the Java quick starter extension. I believe some of these require editing the Windows registry to remove.
Wladimir Palant

Re: Adblock Plus not working after installation

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Hubird: Java Quick Start made your list by mistake, this extension doesn't cause any trouble. However, .Net Framework Assistant and Skype extension did cause trouble before - and those are installed globally so they will automatically be added to any new profile.

@cutandpaste: Is any of the extensions mentioned above present in the new profile you created? If so, could you try disabling them? The link you gave is actually about .Net Framework Assistant.

Unfortunately, I don't think that this is it. I already have several people reporting this issue - and there is no obvious reason why they are having it. Maybe it has to do with external software (antivirus? malware?), maybe it is related to user interface language of Firefox, maybe it is something else. At this point it seems that the only way is for me to connect to one of those PCs via Remote Assistance and try to figure out myself. If you want to volunteer - please mail me at trev@adblockplus.org.
cutandpaste

Post by cutandpaste »

Nope. Never had Skype installed, and have somehow managed to avoid the (infamous) .NET addon.

The only global addons I have installed are "Google Photos Screensaver," and "Google Toolbar for Firefox."

The last time I attacked this problem, I removed Firefox completely (or at least as completely as the uninstaller permits) before installing a new copy of 3.5.2.

Wladimer, I'll drop you a line.
Wladimir Palant

The mystery is solved, huge thanks to cutandpaste. Just a short summary for now, blog post coming up tomorrow: turns out that .Net Framework Assistant was responsible after all. Just because it doesn't show up in the list of installed add-ons doesn't mean that it isn't there. Great, isn't it? For now the solution is to remove the registry key that installs it in Firefox: http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/20 ... softs.html
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

FYI: Mr Tech's Toolkit is a great way to get a list of what is installed. Two clicks copies it to your clipboard in plain text, HTML, or BBCode.
Will Pittenger
Wladimir Palant

Current Adblock Plus development build now implements a work-around for the bug in .Net Framework Assistant. You can get it under devbuilds/adblockplus/ - or wait for Adblock Plus 1.1.1 to be released.
trebness

Post by trebness »

I don't have the .net framework assistant and my adblock is no longer working on 3.6 anymore??? and also i have the skype add on off.any help guys?