Porting request: Google Chrome

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
benny

Re: Porting request: Google Chrome

Post by benny »

since extensions are now enabled in chrome are their still now plans to add this to them? im using adthwart and its not awesome..... nothing beats adblock plus...... so far...... hope you guys reconsider trying....
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

chromer wrote:But the problem is that they all suck, they only hide ads. They can't block like ABP does.
A hint: this doesn't have anything to do with the extension but rather with the browser. There is fairly little a Chrome extension can do.

To anybody who doesn't bother to read the start of the thread:
No, Adblock Plus will not be "ported" to Chrome. I have better ideas for wasting tons of time. Anyway, why do you think that I could do better than the authors of existing ad blockers for Chrome?

Sorry, I am getting a little impatient at page 11 of this nonsense.
kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen »

Wladimir - That you for your program. Whenever I mention firefox I also mention adblock.

I think the reason why peple go on and on about Chrome with Adblock is because you have not (perhaps I missed it) given a detailed explanation of why you do not want to do it.

Something like...
1)Sounds like a good idea but I do not have the time right now to do that, I have a real job and family and your donations are terrible. (is there a donate button?)
2)The interface with extesions with Google Chrome do not allow the plugin to do X
3)Google Chrome was programmed by monkeys, it will not work...
Thank you

KieranMullen
http://360oregon.com
Wladimir Palant

It is a combination of 1) and 2) as I mentioned multiple times in this thread:

forum/viewtopic.php?p=20359#p20359
forum/viewtopic.php?p=25053#p25053
forum/viewtopic.php?p=29909#p29909

Addition: Giorgio Maone says the same - http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-ch ... -noscript/
Wyld_One

Post by Wyld_One »

One of the reasons I was looking at Chrome in general was it's process isolation concept.

Frankly there is so much of Java version hell going on it's pathetic. Also if one java app eating all resources so none else can run ( a bit of hilander tactics there) At least with process isolation it gives you the ability to run different versions of java for different sites
(IF I understand the tech right) If not, too bad so sad, back to firefox.

If they can't or won't address the ability to block any and ALL ads. Chrome will be a NOPE forever for me.

Frankly I am SICk AND TIRED of ALL ads. Period.
kalel90

Post by kalel90 »

Well there still can't be a true adblock addon yet without some nice hacks and fancy tweaks because there is no api in chrome for blocking anything before its loaded although i have a feeling we will be getting it soon then you can badger the creator of abp all you want.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Wyld_One, they are working on something similar to that in Firefox development. But I'm not sure you can do a separate version of Java in two different Tabs even in Chrome. I could be wrong, but that's not the way I understand the way 'process isolation' works. The way I understand it each tab/plug-in will have a different process so if one crashes or hogs resources it doesn't affect the others. I could however be wrong.
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

Wladimir Palant wrote: To anybody who doesn't bother to read the start of the thread:
No, Adblock Plus will not be "ported" to Chrome. I have better ideas for wasting tons of time. Anyway, why do you think that I could do better than the authors of existing ad blockers for Chrome?
(Size tag removed to save eyes from bleeding.)

Dude, chill. Here's the deal:
  • People like Chrome.
  • People like AdBlock Plus.
  • People want to have their cake (Chrome) and eat it too (AdBlock Plus), but as things stand right now, they're being forced to choose.
It's not your fault, but having to listen to the "port to Chrome!" request so often is simply being a victim of your own popularity. This is not a bad thing, it's a reflection on how damn much people love AdBlock Plus. The reason that people think that you could do better than the authors of existing ad blockers for Chrome is because of how well you did with the crummy ad blockers for Firefox. People feel like they know you, they like you, and they trust you. You have proven experience; the jury is still out on other ad blocker authors. Don't get so frustrated. Take it for the compliment that it is.

At some point, there probably will be a de facto ad blocker for Chrome like yours is for Firefox, and people will stop asking the question. Until then, just bask in the glory of having such a popular extension that people want it to become the definitive cross-browser standard, even if that's not in the plans for you.

Incidentally, someone has launched a Chrome extension called AdBlock (sans "Plus"). I have no idea who the author is or how it works, but there you go.
kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen »

I know there is no donate button, There should be. Obviously we have spread the word.

perhaps take up donations for a chrom port
Thank you

KieranMullen
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

its not a money issue, its mainly

Code: Select all

Lack of time to develop new code
Lack of extension infrastructure in chrome
Mguel

Post by Mguel »

And there is also another extension to chrome called Adblock+

http://www.chromeextensions.org/appeara ... g/adblock/
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

Mguel wrote:And there is also another extension to chrome called Adblock+

http://www.chromeextensions.org/appeara ... g/adblock/
remember that Google Chrome extensions are currently in beta phase and require either a dev build or beta build of Chrome 4.0 to use any chrome extensions and will not work with "stable" versions of Chrome 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0.

hm, i wonder what Wladimir would think of that AB extension.

but fanboy is right. If Wladimir can't find the time and energy to "port" ABP into Google Chrome, then it will NEVER happen at all; anyway nobody is forcing him to do so. and since there are other people that have developed similar ad blocking extensions that do work with Google Chrome, there's no need for Wladimir to even make an ABP extension for Chrome.

and with that, I request that this topic about Porting ABP into Google Chrome be closed...permanently.
kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen »

I hate free speech too. Close this thread!
Thank you

KieranMullen
Wladimir Palant

It's not about free speech (btw, forums are generally not about free speech - you cannot expect off-topic discussions to be allowed on a general basis). It's about this thread being pointless. By now there is AdThwart that contains a fair amount of Adblock Plus code, there is also Adblock for Chrome as an additional alternative. If they don't provide a feature that you would like to see, you should know where to ask (hint: not this forum).

Closing this thread is a bad idea nevertheless - if it is gone people will start creating new topics and I don't think anybody wants this.
sverris

Post by sverris »

Thanks for Adblock!

Just wanted to say : Even if Chrome never calls home, and even if there would be Adblock for it, I would never use the browser. Because Google is throwing its products all over the net (and now an OS and a mobile phone) to have a foot in every door, meaning to have a hand in everyones pocket. It's to me a matter of principles: I don't want to make them any money on me (the ads I eventually click). This pig is fat as hell, so why should I feed it. Therefore, Adblock is one of the best apps around... And generally, I rather use and support (small) alternatives, and donate once in a while. Sadly, there is no real open source search engine (yet?) ... And I recommend to people to use alternatives: other browsers, Linux, other search engines, Adblock, for these reasons.

Cheers /
Grüße nach Köln :)