General Filter Does Not Collapse Element

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Michael

General Filter Does Not Collapse Element

Post by Michael »

I have recently been trying to hide the element that would be blocked by ##.ad-box on http://www.sportspickle.com/article:925 ... us-bennett; however, although sportspickle.com##.ad-box collapses the area successfully, ##.ad-box does not. Is anyone else able to reproduce this?
Hubird

Re: General Filter Does Not Collapse Element

Post by Hubird »

Everything working as expected here.

ABP 1.3a.20100520
Michael

Post by Michael »

The issue appears to be that the rule was automatically disabled because I had previously added ##.ad-box to Adblock Plus, disabled it and then deleted it. A similar issue arises if the "my element hiding rules" section is disabled and filters are added.

Would it please be possible for rules generated using the Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus to be automatically enabled, even if the rest of the section remains disabled? If the rule has been generated one would assume that the user expects it to be active.

It appears to be this issue from the roadmap.
Warn when adding a filter to a disabled group like the filter composer in Adblock Plus
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I added this to the roadmap - both for Element Hiding Helper and Adblock Plus. This is a rare scenario but still, filters added via filter composer (build-in or EHH) shouldn't stay disabled.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'd actually been experiencing similar issues on other sites when adding filters, although I was unable to deduce the exact reason given that it was extremely unlikely I had added all the filters in the past; however, I have just discovered that the true cause of the problem was Fanboy's List. I had added the subscription to Adblock Plus and disabled it, intending to use it occasionally for testing purposes. The issue was that, in disabling the subscription Adblock Plus also automatically disabled all identical personal rules without indicating so to the user (other subscriptions were not affected). Would it please be possible for disabled subscriptions to simply be "ignored" by Adblock Plus instead?
Wladimir Palant

Michael, disabled subscriptions definitely don't have that effect - I just tested. Maybe you disabled Fanboy's filters before disabling the filter subscription? It would still be the same issue then.
Wladimir Palant

Turns out that Adblock Plus filter composer isn't affected by this issue - it was rather enabling filters being added from the very beginning. So this is only about Element Hiding Helper. I'll still put it on the Adblock Plus roadmap - this is something Adblock Plus needs to do when other extensions add filters.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Michael wrote:The issue was that, in disabling the subscription Adblock Plus also automatically disabled all identical personal rules without indicating so to the user (other subscriptions were not affected). Would it please be possible for disabled subscriptions to simply be "ignored" by Adblock Plus instead?
I have experienced similar issues in the past and again just now. I am using Firefox 3.6.3 and ABP 1.3a.20100612. I saw this issue with a blocking rule.

A rule can be present and marked as enabled in the users personal filters but it does not have any effect if an exact matching rule is present in a disabled subscription.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Did this issue only arise with filters that had been recently added to the disabled subscriptions?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Michael wrote:Did this issue only arise with filters that had been recently added to the disabled subscriptions?
I don't think it matters how recent the filters were added to the disabled subscription as I can reproduce the issue at any time.

Just before writing this reply I removed all my custom filters enabled EasyList and EasyPrivacy (which were previously disabled) and forced a subscription update. I then disabled EasyList and EasyPrivacy once more and proceeded to http://www.station-drivers.com/

I then add

Code: Select all

||clickintext.net^$third-party
which all goes smoothly except for the fact the filter has no effect.
Wladimir Palant

Yes, I can see this - only when the filter is added via filter composer. Strange...
Wladimir Palant

Hubird, thanks a lot, I fixed the bug: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/9bd71e4127bf
This one was there since Adblock Plus 1.0, good that it is finally fixed.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Hubird, thanks a lot, I fixed the bug: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/9bd71e4127bf
This one was there since Adblock Plus 1.0, good that it is finally fixed.
I do seem to have a knack of finding old bugs. No need to thank me though, you are the one who should be thanked for maintaining the add-on.