Updated Firefox and AdBlock doesn't work.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
margokw

Updated Firefox and AdBlock doesn't work.

Post by margokw »

Hello.

I recently updated my Firefox to 3.6.9 and my Adblock Plus icon in the upper-right hand corner has gone away and now I'm getting ads and pop-ups. I uninstalled the add-on since it didn't seem to be working and there was no update and then reinstalled it but there has been no change.

Is this version of AdBlock compatible with this version of Firefox? What else might be the problem? I've never had problems with the add-on before and I want it back! I never realized how blissfully quiet my internet browsing has been until now when I'm deprived of it!

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Wladimir Palant

Re: Updated Firefox and AdBlock doesn't work.

Post by Wladimir Palant »

For some reason, quite a few people are having this problem recently: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Una ... sion_files
margokw

Post by margokw »

I did as the tutorial directed and deleted the extension files (after closing Firefox) but it made no difference.

Now what?
Wladimir Palant

Adblock Plus is definitely compatible with Firefox 3.6.9 and works fine for pretty much everybody. Other possibilities that I know about: en/known-issues#broken_ui
margokw

Post by margokw »

That is definitely the issue--the Adblock Plus icon doesn't show in the toolbar or in the Tools menu and if I try to access the Options from the Extensions window, the window freezes and no Options appear.

However, the solutions provided did not help (extension is enabled already and I do not have an extension installed that would interfere with Adblock).
Wladimir Palant

Something is messed up in your Firefox profile then. It is strange that removing temporary extension files has no effect. I guess creating a new profile and moving the important data into it would do. The corresponding articles are http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles and http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Rec ... ld+profile. But I would definitely like to know what the problem is in your current profile... If you have some time for experimenting you could try the following: shut down Firefox, move a few files away from your profile, start Firefox and check whether the issue is still there. If it is - move these files back (overwrite the new copies that might be created) and try with some other files. That would allow finding the file which causes the whole mess.
margokw

Post by margokw »

So I tried to do as you said and create a new profile (I did) and then delete the old (saving it elsewhere first) and copy over the information and delete the old profile.

However, whenever I create a new profile, only the "default" profile stays in the ProfileManager and the new profile I create disappears after leaving the Manager. If I try to get into Firefox from my shortcut on my desktop, it says another instance of Firefox is running and I have to shut that down. I've checked and no instances of Firefox are running (checked TaskManager) and I even restarted. I think this has something to do with the multiple profiles but I can't delete the "default" profile.

I have noticed that all the profiles I make generate separate folders in the Profiles folder so there are folders for the profiles I make but they aren't being pulled by Firefox so I can't test the new profile to see if the problem still exists...I can't run Firefox at all unless I open the ProfileManager, make a new profile and then immediately run that new profile--if I exit out of that window, I can't get back into Firefox unless I do the whole thing over again...

Phew. This is getting ridiculous...
Wladimir Palant

Yes, this is strange. If you like you can run TeamViewer and email me your ID/password to trev@adblockplus.org. I'll then be able to take a look.
Zef

Post by Zef »

This may be related to whatever happened to me a few weeks back. For me updating to the latest ABP nightly fixed it, so after backing up your profile you could try that.
hoekstra@hmcmfg.com

Post by hoekstra@hmcmfg.com »

I tried to install this program today but all I get is this page can not be displayed. I can not even get into Mozilla.org.. Has anybody ever seen a problem like this? Thanks.
Deftones17

Post by Deftones17 »

margokw wrote:That is definitely the issue--the Adblock Plus icon doesn't show in the toolbar or in the Tools menu and if I try to access the Options from the Extensions window, the window freezes and no Options appear.

However, the solutions provided did not help (extension is enabled already and I do not have an extension installed that would interfere with Adblock).
This is exactly the same problem I've been running into for the past week. I thought at first Adblock Plus wasn't compatible with 3.6.9 but my other computer are running both fine. I am going to try the profile trick Wladimir suggested, but I hope it can be resolved. Ads suck!
Deftones17

Post by Deftones17 »

Well, I just tried the profile suggestion. No dice. I got it installed and running on new profile, but once I closed it, everything went away. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Wladimir Palant

See my post above (forum/viewtopic.php?p=37525#p37525) - I am out of suggestions, can have a look myself.
time

Post by time »

I too am having this problem, but only with my computer that runs Windows 7. My computers running XP work fine with the 3.6.9 update. I have also tried the recent 3.6.10 update and have the same No Adblock (and no Flashblock also) showing or working. Have gone back to 3.6.8 for the Windows 7 computer for the time being.