[Done] Notify the maintainer of the filter

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Michael

Re: [Roadmap] Notify the maintainer of the filter

Post by Michael »

When the screenshot section is maximised the boxes are drawn considerably to the right of where the pointer is actually located, and will not be drawn at all if the incorrectly calculated position is not on the image.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Next
* Server script to notify subscription maintainers on new reports
How will this route reports when user has multiple subscriptions? That is, which subscription maintainer will be notified? both subscriptions?

For example, combined filter lists (e.g. local language filter list + Easylist/Fanboy), or mutually exclusive subscriptions (e.g. Fanboy/Easylist + Chinalist)

For false positive issues, this could go to the offending subscription i.e. where filters were applied.
But for missed ads, is it based on the content language meta tag and/or domain location?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

If multiple subscriptions are involved (should be a rare scenario) all subscription authors need to be mailed. In case of false positives we can prioritize the subscriptions that have matching filters - there these report will be displayed at the top of the list.
alberto

Post by alberto »

I was also thinking about a common scenario with a supplementary + primary subscription. I believe normally the user would have one subscription with the combined lists (from potentially different authors). For example, Liste FR+EasyList, I understand each list is maintained by different group of authors.
Wladimir Palant

The contact for Liste FR+EasyList is Liste FR maintainer. If the issue turns out to be an EasyList filter he can notify EasyList maintainers - as he probably does now already.
Wladimir Palant

The final bits for the issue reporter user interface just landed, Adblock Plus will give advice for some configuration-related issues as well warn about submitting "Other issue" reports in the hope that this alone will get the issues fixed. I also made sure that the progress indicators show something that makes sense, and handling of connection errors in the submission step is also done. Please have a look at this in the next development build (Adblock Plus 1.3b.20101019).

I would also appreciate it if somebody could go through the texts to check for mistakes and passages that could be formulated better/clearer. String freeze for Adblock Plus 1.3 is supposed to start tomorrow afternoon (CEST) and it would be best to sort out these issues until then.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I have made several changes to the texts; altered lines are indicated below.
<!ENTITY dataCollector.heading "Welcome to the issue reporter">

<!ENTITY dataCollector.description "Please wait a few moments while Adblock Plus gathers the required data.">

<!ENTITY typeSelector.description "This window will guide you through the steps required for the submission of an Adblock Plus issue report. First, please select the type of issue that you are experiencing on this page: ">

<!ENTITY typeSelector.falsePositive.description "Select this option if the page lacks important content, displays incorrectly or fails to function properly. You can determine whether Adblock Plus is the cause of the problem by disabling the add-on temporarily.">

<!ENTITY typeSelector.falseNegative.description "Select this option if an advertisement is displayed on the page despite Adblock Plus being enabled.">

<!ENTITY issues.description "Adblock Plus has detected issues with your configuration that might be responsible for this issue or will make investigating the report difficult.">

<!ENTITY issues.whitelist.description "Adblock Plus is disabled on the page you are reporting. Even if you disabled Adblock Plus to prevent the issue from occurring, please re-enable it and reload the page before submitting the report to gather the required data.">

<!ENTITY issues.disabled.description "Adblock Plus is disabled and will not block anything in its current state.">

<!ENTITY issues.nosubscriptions.description "You do not appear to be subscribed to any of the pre-made filter lists that automatically remove unwanted content from websites.">

<!ENTITY issues.ownfilters.description "Some of the filters active on this page have are user-defined and should be disabled in order to more accurately determine the cause of the issue: ">

<!ENTITY issues.disabledgroups.description "The following filter subscriptions / filter groups are disabled, yet may be intended to have an effect on this page:">

<!ENTITY issues.disabledfilters.description "The following filters are disabled, yet have have been intended to have an effect on this page:">

<!ENTITY issues.change.description "Your configuration has been changed. Please reload the page to test the changes and only submit your report if the issue hasn't been resolved by the alterations.">

<!ENTITY typeWarning.description "You have indicated that you want to report a general issue with Adblock Plus rather than a problem with the filters. Please note that such issues are best reported in the [link]Adblock Plus forum[/link]. You should only use the issue reporter to supplement an existing discussion, as nobody will notice your report unless you provide them with the link to it. The automtically generated link will be provided after submitting a report.">

<!ENTITY typeWarning.override.label "I understand and want to submit the report anyway.">

<!ENTITY screenshot.description "The same page can look different for different people. It may help us to understand the problem if you attach an screenshot to your report. You can remove sections containing sensitive information as well as mark areas where the problem is noticeable by clicking the corresponding button and selecting a section of the image with your mouse.">

<!ENTITY screenshot.attach.label "Attach a page image to the report">

<!ENTITY commentPage.description "The text block below allows you to enter a comment to help us understand the issue. This step is optional but recommended if the problem isn't obvious. You can also review the report data before it is sent.">

<!ENTITY attachExtensions.label "Attach a list of active extensions to the report in case add-on conflict is the cause of the problem">

<!ENTITY sendPage.confirmation "Your report has been saved. You can access it at the following address:">

<!ENTITY sendPage.errorMessage "An attempt to send the report failed with error code "?1?". Please ensure you are connected to the Internet and retry. If the problem persists please request assistance in the [link]Adblock Plus forum[/link].">
I have also noticed that no validation appears to occur in the e-mail address field. Is this intentional?
Wladimir Palant

Michael, thank you.

Yes, email field is not validated. What would be the purpose of such validation other than annoying the user? Email validation is notoriously unreliable, it will either allow too much or prevent valid email addresses. The subscription maintainer who will be sending a request for more info (the only person who will be using that address) should be able to recognize invalid addresses better than any such check.
Wladimir Palant

Forgot to mention, there is one thing I am not really sure about as the configuration issues go. For pretty much all configuration issues Adblock Plus allows the user to click the checkbox and send the report anyway - after all, maybe the user really knows better. The only exception is sending a report for a whitelisted site - here we won't get all the data so Adblock Plus always requires the user to remove the whitelist before sending the report.

What do other people think about it? On the one hand, list of requests isn't always required to investigate an issue. On the other hand, if the user has a "This is correct, send report anyway" checkbox he will very likely use it.
Wladimir Palant

Michael, your suggestions have been implemented with minor changes: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/550c5c3315e4, https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/f6a2ab889ad7

* typeSelector.falsePositive.description - "disable the add-on temporarily" sounds to me very much like suggesting to disable in Tools / Add-ons which is too much to ask for. So I left "disable it" which IMHO more likely suggests using the same menu that has been used to open issue reporter. But this sentence is generally to vague.
* issues.ownfilters.description - I really do not want to suggest disabling all custom filters. The user added them, he must know what they are about.
* issues.disabledgroups.description/issues.disabledfilters.description - the list here won't show all disabled filters/subscriptions, only the ones with matches on the current page. So "may be intended" is too weak of a statement IMHO.
* issues.change.description - the button "reload the page" will close the current report. We are really talking about submitting a new report.
* typeWarning.override.label - yes, this is a full sentence but I am still not sure that a checkbox label should end with a period.
* screenshot.description - sorry but I would prefer to keep the last two sentences separate for simplicity :)
* commentPage.description - it's a text field, not a text block
alberto

Post by alberto »

Great job! It's impressive how this provides assistance to troubleshoot most potential problems

Just a minor thing: the warning page after selecting 'other issue', it shows / behaves incorrectly after moving forwards and backwards (i.e. Next, Back, Next).
Wladimir Palant wrote:Adblock Plus always requires the user to remove the whitelist before sending the report.
There are two scenarios, depending what the user is trying to report:

a) ABP does not block ads -- Most likely the user did not know it was whitelisted, so better to ask removing the whitelist. The current wording does not apply to this scenario i.e. "Even if you disabled Adblock Plus to prevent the issue from occurring"

b) ABP blocks too much -- Most likely the user whitelisted the site to troubleshoot, otherwise does not make sense to report this. In this case the user supposedly knows what is doing, so it would make sense to ask removing the whitelist to report the issue properly (filter data and screenshots). Note it also mentions " Adblock Plus isn't blocking anything on the current page. The issue you are observing is most likely unrelated to Adblock Plus." which creates confusion -- so this message should not display in this particular case.

IMHO is valid to request removing whitelisting, not only because it will gather all data but also to assist the user to find the solution (case a)

Suggest changing the wording slightly to suit both scenarios, along the lines of

"Adblock Plus is currently disabled on the page you are reporting. Please re-enable it and reload the page before submitting the report to assist the investigation of this issue."
Wladimir Palant

@alberto: Thank you, I somehow overlooked it. Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/31f77db334b3

Also changed the wording, your suggestion sounds much better: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/04abbf35766f

The issue with two warnings being shown is actually a bug: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/4f5380a7b6e6
alberto wrote:IMHO is valid to request removing whitelisting, not only because it will gather all data but also to assist the user to find the solution (case a)
It's not just that it requests removing whitelisting - it also won't let the user override the warning. So a report cannot be submitted as long as the page is whitelisted.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Agreed, I meant forcing the user to remove the whitelist before proceeding, which IMHO it makes sense to resolve any of the scenarios mentioned before.

Would it worth checking if there have been any ABP filter changes after the page was loaded, and in that case ask to reload the page before proceeding? Don't want to over-engineer, but just thinking that inexperienced users may inadvertently change configuration and expect to automatically have an effect. This will give more reassurance to maintainers that the filter data collected correlate with screenshots / comments / symptoms.
Wladimir Palant

I hope that filter changes after page reload will be an uncommon scenario because catching it is everything but trivial.