Adblock Plus Icon

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Nashy

Adblock Plus Icon

Post by Nashy »

Is there anyway I can remove the "Adblock Plus" text next to the icon whilst keeping "text & icons" active?

I just liked the old Adblock Plus button better.
Ricercar

Re: Adblock Plus Icon

Post by Ricercar »

While I don't use text+icons myself, this seems to have caused enough of a stir to be worth looking into.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

I would post an element hiding rule for you, but I couldn't make it work.

You can still edit the userchrome.css file or use the Stylish extention with this:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

.toolbarbutton-text[value="Adblock Plus"] {
 display:none!important
}
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Adding this filter to Adblock Plus should do as well:

browser###abp-toolbarbutton > label
I looked into this again and this is unfortunately a Firefox limitation - toolbar buttons that have a dropdown arrow cannot have their text displayed at the bottom. The built-in Bookmarks button in Firefox 4 has exactly the same problem (not in Firefox 3.6, there it doesn't have a dropdown arrow).

@Ricercar: Where did you see the stir it caused? From what I remember, this is the first complaint about this ever.

@Nashy: What is the "old Adblock Plus button"? I don't think this button changed since Adblock Plus 0.7.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Adding this filter to Adblock Plus should do as well:

browser###abp-toolbarbutton > label
It's a little bit weird. I can make it work in the nightly builds, but in Fx 3.6.12 it won't work.
Wladimir Palant

Yes, same here, not sure why.
random

Post by random »

Up until this most recent build the "Adblock Plus" text was below the ABP icon, even though it had the drop-down arrow. The text being to the right of the icon is a very new phenomena, and it is not good.
Pax Romana

Post by Pax Romana »

Is this it then?
Blame firefox for not being able to display text at the bottom when there's a dropdown box?
I've used adblockplus for years, and never ever seen any text. All I've ever seen was 2 buttons; 1 with abp stop sign logo and 1 with an little arrow.
Are the text really necessary?

I'm used to click on the abp button several times a day, not only to block content, but also to see what kind of stuff the web pages are running, so I find it very annoying not being able to do that in just one click.

So what are my options now?
Wait for an adblockplus update that fixes it?
Wait for firefox to fix it?
Reinstalling abp to an earlier version, and hope that fixes it?
Or suck it up and stop being a crybaby, have a biscuit and realize that life isn't fair and everybody is out to get me?
Wladimir Palant

@Pax Romana: Your question is unrelated to this topic. Please see forum/viewtopic.php?p=39041#p39041
Pax Romana

Post by Pax Romana »

@Wladimir Palant
Thanks it worked.

(Wuhu, now again, I can recklessly and fast block those nasty ads, and know not everybody is out to get me :wink: )
Wladimir Palant

WTF... After looking closer at the Firefox source code - icons where the button and the dropdown marker do different things are fine, they use vertical layout by default. As to buttons where both trigger the same action (that is the new default in Adblock Plus 1.3), there is a binding allowing a vertical layout - it simply cannot be used by regular means. I added a hack to use it, so far seems to do fine in all the relevant applications: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/a6984eccca5d. So this issue will be fixed in the next development build.