64-bit firefox and adblock plus

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
oji-sama

64-bit firefox and adblock plus

Post by oji-sama »

Is this a valid combination? Does the normal version work, or does a 64-bit version exist?

From http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Plugins :

"Firefox x64 version has to use 64-bit plug-in. Even if you install 32-bit plug-in, it cannot use it on 64-bit version."

I was going to try the 64-bit build, but I'm incapable of using WWW-pages without adblock...
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Keep in mind the program you link to isn't the official Mozilla Firefox browser.

I suppose you could try to install ABP, if it refuses to install because it's not been marked as compatible then this browser isn't supported.
Ares2

Re: 64-bit firefox and adblock plus

Post by Ares2 »

oji-sama wrote:Is this a valid combination? Does the normal version work
It should work just fine.
oji-sama wrote:From http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Firefox:Plugins :

"Firefox x64 version has to use 64-bit plug-in. Even if you install 32-bit plug-in, it cannot use it on 64-bit version."
Note that plugins (Flash, Media Player, ...) are not the same as extensions (Adblock Plus, Stylish, ...).
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Adblock Plus is platform-independent, it will work with any Firefox. However, as Fan already noted - this isn't the official Firefox and might not always work correctly.
bur

Post by bur »

Since there is now an official (though nightly) win-64 build of Firefox, I dug up this thread.
Note that plugins (Flash, Media Player, ...) are not the same as extensions (Adblock Plus, Stylish, ...).
So all Add-Ons/extensions like Adblock, Noscript and so on that work with 32-bit Firefox should work with the 64-bit build as well?

That'd be a nice thing. Has anyone here tried it yet? Of my plugins Java and Flash are available in 64 bit, Quicktime seems not to be (not the most important plugin anyway) but unfortunately also the Adobe Reader plugin seems to only exist in 32bit.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I used ABP in Minefield x64 just fine. There are other Free native 64bit PDF readers.

You could try:

http://www.tracker-software.com/product ... nge-viewer
Sniper

Post by Sniper »

Well, what is the direct answer guys? Is AdBlockPlus architecture independent, or there is a separate x64 build? Could we use it directly on FF x64, or we have to do some tricky workarounds in order to succeed? I thing that peoples are awaiting por a prompt, direct, obiective answer much more than many philosophical discussions on the topic. Thanks, Sniper.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Sniper wrote:Well, what is the direct answer guys? Is AdBlockPlus architecture independent, or there is a separate x64 build? Could we use it directly on FF x64, or we have to do some tricky workarounds in order to succeed? I thing that peoples are awaiting por a prompt, direct, obiective answer much more than many philosophical discussions on the topic. Thanks, Sniper.
Adblock Plus is an extension not a plugin. So it does not matter matter whether firefox is 32 bit or 64 bit, it will work.
Yes, you can use it on Firefox 64 bit without any issues.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Sniper wrote:Well, what is the direct answer guys? Is AdBlockPlus architecture independent, or there is a separate x64 build? Could we use it directly on FF x64, or we have to do some tricky workarounds in order to succeed? I thing that peoples are awaiting por a prompt, direct, obiective answer much more than many philosophical discussions on the topic. Thanks, Sniper.
Heaven forbid people actually read the forum :roll:

Anyway I'll be pissed off if Firefox Aurora doesn't get Windows x64 builds once its version number is bumped to 8 (any day now, since Mozilla released Firefox 6, so Beta should move to 7 and Aurora to 8), just as the current Firefox Nightly 8 is (and the new Nightly 9 should be) available for x64; Java has been 64-bit for nearly 2 years, Flash is coming aboard with the beta of version 11, and even a couple PDF readers are available (PDF-Xchange is, and with a simple patch, the lighter Sumatra PDF plugin can be compiled for x64).

For a bit more "philosophical" :roll: discussion, consider that Adblock Plus actually contains no compiled code, just Javascript (and also HTML, CSS, and images in the user interface), so it works wherever Firefox does (same for the Chrome extension and Chromium); by contrast, some extensions actually bundle plugins inside and are not cross-platform, like the numerous "IE Tab" extensions for both Firefox and Chrome, which use a plugin that embeds the WebBrowser control in such a way that it only works on 32-bit Windows builds (usually Win2K and higher, although the original IE Tab once supported Windows 98). It would be impossible to even port that extension outside Windows, because Internet Explorer does not run on those platforms without emulation or compatibility layers, while 64-bit applications on Windows x64 would require a distinct build (which I hope is provided as Firefox x64 comes out from the Nightly ghetto).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.