[suggest] guideline webpage for Ad blocking

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
maybee

[suggest] guideline webpage for Ad blocking

Post by maybee »

I think Adblock Plus allows users to maintain the proper balance between contents and Advertisements.
But some users might block all ads on the Internet. So it might be needed to understand 'Ad blocking' correctly, define
what desirable Ad blocking is. the guideline webpage for Ad blocking on adblockplus.org will provide us with the minimum ethical standard.
IceDogg

Re: [suggest] guideline webpage for Ad blocking

Post by IceDogg »

I think whatever someone wants to block is fair game. I block plenty of stuff that are not ads by any means. But that's just my opinion. I don't think though that a page of what you should block and what you shouldn't is going to change a thing and would be a waste of time. Again that's just my opinion.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

We cannot really create a webpage on something we didn't agree on ourselves yet. But - yes, it is probably time to start discussing "reasonable advertising" again. We need a definitive bar here that we can suggest to advertising networks on the one side and to users on the other.
maybee

Post by maybee »

website admins or owners might want to avoid ad blocking and advertise their ads.
http://adblockplus.org/blog/an-approach ... d-blocking
but they might not know how they advertise anything. I think this project would be better to help them to make desirable advertising surroundings.
the guideline focuses on website admins or owner who want to pursue so-called win-win situation and filterlist maintainer.
if the guideline is made they can know how they make advertisements by it.
That is everybody should be able to be predictable any ads which will be blocked such as law.

these are just idea.

1. Ads targeted by Advertising regulation can be blocked like illegal, suggestive Display Ads.
Advertising regulation
Because laws and rules related Advertising regulation often don't block illegal, suggestive Display Ads.
I think filter maintainer would be better to read them.

2. Ads cause the inconveniences of usage on a webpage to the Internet users.
1-1. shape and size (ex huge sized banner)
1-2. position (or layout)
1-3. technique (ex Interstitial ad, high-pitched sound on the start-page)

3. discriminate between first party and third party Ads (option)
self promotion is not specifically blocked
e.g. Wikimedia fundraising banners (by Michael)

we need to classify annoying ads to regulate.
and I think filter maintainer and general users have something in common with action of Ad blocking.