phony Adblock plus update

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
ajweishar

phony Adblock plus update

Post by ajweishar »

I had an Adblock plus popup come up with my Firefox web page. It had all the Mozilla Firefox logos. The popup told me I needed to "subscribe" to a stronger version of Adblock plus for it to work correctly. Subscribe should have been my first clue. Failing to check the source was my second mistake. I hit subscribe, and three trojan files and one spyware file started tearing down my internet access. It reset my FTP, HTPPS, and HTTP ports. So, beware of a popup telling you to subscribe (or some other similar illogical term) to Adblock plus, when it is already installed and running on your computer.
Wladimir Palant

Re: phony Adblock plus update

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Adblock Plus shows the page chrome://adblockplus/content/ui/subscriptionSelection.xul after installation that tells you to choose a filter subscription (see en/getting_started#subscription for screenshot). However, it won't initiate any download or such, no action required beyond changing selection (if necessary at all) and hitting OK.

Do you remember the exact wording of the page you saw or the server that it came from?