Is Adblock Plus for Chrome (formerly AdThwart) superior...

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Michael

Re: Is Adblock Plus for Chrome (formerly AdThwart) superior...

Post by Michael »

ttjoseph, why does Fanboy's List slow down Adblock Plus for Chrome?
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

can you all add EasyPrivacy to the list so we can just check it instead of adding it ourselves?
Michael

Post by Michael »

super_fox, as I understand it Wladimir intends to soon add SubscriptionList information to the Adblock Plus for Chrome extension, which will permit the addition of EasyPrivacy, although he has stated that this will not occur in the first release.

I am also not entirely certain whether Chrome actually blocks any items other than filters those in the form ||example.com^$third-party, which would render a considerable chunk of EasyPrivacy useless given that tracking items can collect data unless they are blocked.
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

Michael wrote:ttjoseph, why does Fanboy's List slow down Adblock Plus for Chrome?
I don't know if it still does - this was several months ago. No reason not to try again now.

IIRC, certain combinations of selectors would take several hundred ms to be evaluated, which was unacceptable. I didn't determine any reason why one selector was worse than another - adding a couple characters to a class name, for example, might dramatically reduce this evaluation time, and the demands of Real Life prevented me from digging into WebKit to figure it out :)
Michael wrote:I am also not entirely certain whether Chrome actually blocks any items other than filters those in the form ||example.com^$third-party, which would render a considerable chunk of EasyPrivacy useless given that tracking items can collect data unless they are blocked.
You are correct. In AdThwart, given Chrome's limitations, I traded some degree of blocking efficiency for user-perceived speed. Wladimir intends to improve this situation.
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

ok i see so as of right now its not going to help even adding it manually to the list ourselves. i will hold of on it then until the issue is fixed and it shows up in the list thanks for clarification on this.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@fanboy: Nice, I haven't even seen that code yet :)
Don't worry, I expect the next version to use the same list of recommendations as Adblock Plus for Firefox. And that code will go away.

@Michael: You are right, currently EasyPrivacy won't be very useful with Adblock Plus/Chrome. This is also something that I hope to change with the next version.

@anonymoose, dariop: If there is one constant in life it's that any icon change will always find many opponents. If I change the icon back other people will complain so I better don't. This is the reason why this user style exists, four years after an icon change some people still prefer the cockroach. Unfortunately, Chrome doesn't have any similar customization mechanism, only option is shipping two sets of icons with the extension - which most people will rightfully consider bloat and a choice that the overwhelming majority of users doesn't care about.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

the new icon is OK. that's the original sign of the ABP, which i used under Firefox. it missed me and now i'm happy to see it again. i used AdThwart because it was the best adblocker for Chrome/Iron, just as ABP is the best for Firefox. it's a great honor our favorite adblocker AdThwart to evolve in the true port of the ABP for Chrome (in spite of that i'm using Iron). for the protocol - it works great in Iron too 8) thanks a lot to the AdThwart and ABP developers.