Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
fanboy

Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Post by fanboy »

I've been playing with the AdblockPlus for Chrome extension (1.0.24.583), and I've cleaned up the subscriptions lists (since some people simply ignore requests), This extension will be updated as newer versions are released.

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/chrome/adblockplus-mod.crx

super_fox

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Post by super_fox »

is this for developer version fanboy?
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

super_fox wrote:is this for developer version fanboy?
For anyone, endusers/developers.. Doesn't act any differently to the normal AdblockPlus for Chrome, just offers a bigger/better range of subscriptions. Though it is a bit sad I had to create such a extension in the first place.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Fanboy, are you aware that your subscriptions merely hide content from advertisers rather than actually block it in Adblock Plus for Chrome? Only filters in the form ||example.com^$third-party block content, yet the rules in your subscription tend to omit the third-party option. I suspect that this may have been a reason why only one of your lists is present in Adblock Plus for Chrome.

In terms of listing all of the known subscriptions, Wladimir has already stated his intention to update the extension to include all the data from SubscriptionList, although I suspect that blocking adverts regardless of the filter form is of greater priority.

Out of interest, how do you decide which subscriptions to add to your mod and the order in which they are sorted?
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Michael wrote:Fanboy, are you aware that your subscriptions merely hide content from advertisers rather than actually block it in Adblock Plus for Chrome? Only filters in the form ||example.com^$third-party block content, yet the rules in your subscription tend to omit the third-party option. I suspect that this may have been a reason why only one of your lists is present in Adblock Plus for Chrome.
Its actually a lower common denominator, no switches.. seems to work pretty well from what I see.
Michael wrote:In terms of listing all of the known subscriptions, Wladimir has already stated his intention to update the extension to include all the data from Subscription List, although I suspect that blocking adverts regardless of the filter form is of greater priority.
Sure, and I'm fine with that. What I'm not happy is adding new subscriptions (another German sub?) over another a English sub or improving the regional support, and a blatant disregard to anything other than Easy.
Michael wrote:Out of interest, how do you decide which subscriptions to add to your mod and the order in which they are sorted?
No specific order, just (Main,Regional,Supplemental). Order doesn't represent any favorites.
kotukediserafettin

Post by kotukediserafettin »

it doesnt block flash advertisement like firefox..
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

I don't use lists, but I do agree that EasyList is not the only one. So this mod makes sense as long as there is not a known list like fanboy's one.
When I offered to complete EasyList for french sites, I hoped that someone who would do the same for other list. Maybe you should ask for international people to extend list like EasyList's way...
anonymous___

Post by anonymous___ »

Why the heck did you do this fanboy? This doesn't provide "choice" - EasyList isn't even an option and almost all the choices were made by you! People can add your subscriptions by their URL in the existing adblock plus, but now you go and make your own version of the extension with a few lines of code changed! And now you're going to have to manually go in and change it for every version. What if a major bug is found in Adblock Plus for Chrome and you're not around to update your version? People will not receive the fix until you make your stupid update. It's obvious they're not added to the official one because there either is a problem with them (e.g. most filters not very compatible with chrome) or the developers haven't had a chance to add them yet! Can you not make a list of your subscription URLs and stop whining that your subscriptions aren't included? /rant
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

anonymous___ wrote:Why the heck did you do this fanboy?
Because I can.
anonymous___ wrote:This doesn't provide "choice" - EasyList isn't even an option and almost all the choices were made by you! People can add your subscriptions by their URL in the existing adblock plus, but now you go and make your own version of the extension with a few lines of code changed!
I provides plenty of choice, 16 regional lists. Sure I didn't need to create this subscription, but with the lack of action *and* willing to add other subs.. I decided to take action, really the beauty of Open Source.
And now you're going to have to manually go in and change it for every version.
No biggy, I have the diff file.
What if a major bug is found in Adblock Plus for Chrome and you're not around to update your version?
What if.. Wladmir gets run over by car tomorrow? So many "What if" scenarios.. the subscription gets updated like I said.
Michael

Post by Michael »

fanboy wrote:
Michael wrote:Fanboy, are you aware that your subscriptions merely hide content from advertisers rather than actually block it in Adblock Plus for Chrome? Only filters in the form ||example.com^$third-party block content, yet the rules in your subscription tend to omit the third-party option. I suspect that this may have been a reason why only one of your lists is present in Adblock Plus for Chrome.
Its actually a lower common denominator, no switches.. seems to work pretty well from what I see.
Your subscriptions are currently not as effective in Adblock Plus for Chrome as they are in Adblock Plus because they only hide items, including scripts, as the filters are not in the required form. This means that the scripts from domains known to exclusively host adverts are still permitted to run on the page, wasting browser resources, and that additional filters may be required in your subscriptions to remove the unwanted generated content.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@fanboy: I do not ignore your requests (except when I am on vacation and don't have time to read the forum), I plan to offer the same subscriptions for Chrome as for Firefox - but right now it is pointless given the issue mentioned by Michael. We need to fix the extension core first and make sure it blocks properly, not only for some filters. Then we can improve the user interface. And - no, I don't want to have hardcoded subscription lists there, it should read in subscriptions.xml just like the Firefox extension.
chikimonke

Post by chikimonke »

This is a little off topic, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by fanboy. With the standard fanboy list enabled in AB+ for Chrome, I can no longer use the drop down menu to add a contact to an email I'm composing in gmail. I start typing a name, and suggestions will show up, but no method of selecting the name adds it to the "To:" field. Clicking on To: and trying to add it through that interface also does not work. When I disable that list, everything works fine. This is not an issue in AB+ for FF. (I use the same lists in both browsers) So something is indeed wrong with how your list is being used in chrome. On the flip side, your list does block the ads (which I didn't even know existed until today) at the bottom of e-mails that are being read. If this should just be it's own topic, please feel free to move it as such. Thanks
Wladimir Palant

@chikimonke: That's most likely the same as http://code.google.com/p/adblock-chinal ... ail?id=380
Tom Joseph told me that this is a long-standing and not really understood issue, there is even a hack to prevent general filters from being applied on Gmail. But in this case the issue was caused by a filter meant only for the google.com domain.

PS: I tried to reproduce - strangely, it works fine for me even when I am subscribed to Fanboy's list.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

If I can get access (via Teamviewer) we can find out which filter is causing it...
chikimonke wrote:This is a little off topic, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by fanboy. With the standard fanboy list enabled in AB+ for Chrome, I can no longer use the drop down menu to add a contact to an email I'm composing in gmail. I start typing a name, and suggestions will show up, but no method of selecting the name adds it to the "To:" field. Clicking on To: and trying to add it through that interface also does not work. When I disable that list, everything works fine. This is not an issue in AB+ for FF. (I use the same lists in both browsers) So something is indeed wrong with how your list is being used in chrome. On the flip side, your list does block the ads (which I didn't even know existed until today) at the bottom of e-mails that are being read. If this should just be it's own topic, please feel free to move it as such. Thanks
Wladimir Palant

@fanboy: After a little more of playing around - it seems that the issue is caused by all filters touching the style attribute (e.g. google.com##foobar>div[style]). Adding ~mail.google.com to these filters should fix it for now.