Can you offer my subscription?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
IsraelList

Can you offer my subscription?

Post by IsraelList »

Adblock Plus for Chrome does not include it.

Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/israellist/
Details are on http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions
Source file:

Code: Select all

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/israelilist/IsraelList.txt
Wladimir Palant

Re: Can you offer my subscription?

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I am currently focusing on making the extension core (particularly blocking) work properly, the user interface will be rewritten later. Then it should offer the same subscriptions as the Firefox extension.
IsraelList

Post by IsraelList »

You can do it without rewriting the UI.

Any chances we will see Adblock for Chrome blocking flash video ads outside of YouTube?

BTW, some element hiding rules don't work on Chrome (both on Adblock and Adblock Plus), but they do work on Firefox (both on 3.6 or 4.0b).
For example, subscribe to IsraelList, go to news.walla.co.il, select any article on scroll to the bottom of the page. Compare what you see on Chrome to Firefox. It's a style attribute so I've two rules for it, but none of the work on Chrome.
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

IsraelList wrote:Any chances we will see Adblock for Chrome blocking flash video ads outside of YouTube?
We'd love this but Chrome doesn't support object-subrequest blocking - only blocking within the DOM. YouTube ad blocking only works because we can rewrite the flashvars for the video player object to remove references to ad resources. Blocking videos on other sites would require site-specific code, and even then could only work on similarly vulnerable video players.
BTW, some element hiding rules don't work on Chrome (both on Adblock and Adblock Plus), but they do work on Firefox (both on 3.6 or 4.0b).
I'm guessing you are referring to the following filter:

walla.co.il,iol.co.il##div[style="width: 468px; margin: 0pt auto;"]
This doesn't work on Chrome because the 'style=' part of the selector matches only the exact text specified, which is different on the site. On Firefox, it seems like it's not really a string comparison - instead, the style attributes are parsed and compared individually. I don't know what the correct W3C behavior is (though I do personally like the Firefox behavior better).
Wladimir Palant

IsraelList wrote:You can do it without rewriting the UI.
No, I cannot. Your subscription is not recommended, it cannot be offered on the first selection screen. And the Chrome extension currently doesn't have anything resembling "Other subscription" list.
IsraelList

Post by IsraelList »

walla.co.il,iol.co.il##div[style="width: 468px; margin: 0pt auto;"]
has another version:

walla.co.il,iol.co.il##div[style="width:468px;margin:0 auto;"]
is a special filter added for Firefox 4.0b, but it also doesn't work on Chrome.
IsraelList

Post by IsraelList »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
IsraelList wrote:You can do it without rewriting the UI.
No, I cannot. Your subscription is not recommended, it cannot be offered on the first selection screen. And the Chrome extension currently doesn't have anything resembling "Other subscription" list.
So why don't you make it a recommended subscription? From November stats I assume my subscription has about 100,000 subscribers.
Wladimir Palant

Now that's a different question. From the look of it, you have some community participation by now. Filter quality looks good to me, I'll check with other subscription authors to see what they think.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Related topic:

http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5956

For what it's worth I think Michael made some valid points. It looks to me like you are still trying to maintain your list as both a "supplemental and standalone" subscription. On it's own it will probably not take care of enough ads and together with EasyList you would end up with more redundant rules than necessary.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I can confirm that I would still be inclined not to grant the subscription recommended status on the basis of the unnecessary overuse of "$domain=co.il" and the continued confusion about whether IsraelList is independent, which is its official status, or supplementary, which is indicated by the "Not by IsraelList (caused by EasyList / Fanboy's List)" section. I would also suggest that there could be some redundant filters present in the subscription itself, such as /merlin.asp?$domain=co.il, which is followed by /Merlin.$script,domain=co.il.