Unable to install Ad Block Plus

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
mralston2

Unable to install Ad Block Plus

Post by mralston2 »

Ad Block Plus won't install. All steps are normal, and firefox reboots after installation steps are followed, except there is no ABP stop sign or any other signs that ABP is functional. No error messages appear.

Help! I am so used to ads being blocked that I can't tolerate them!

I preemptively removed extension.cache, extension.ini, and extension.rdt, no help.

Firefox version 3.5.5 (.NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Ad Block 1.1.1
Windows XP Pro Version 5.1.2600 SP3 Language 1033
Norton Internet Security Antivirus Active

I first noticed the problem at my home page http://my.earthlink.net

The only Add-ons are Adblock Plus, Java Quick Starter, and Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1
Hubird

Re: Unable to install Ad Block Plus

Post by Hubird »

Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1 has been known to cause a lot of problems and sometime certain anti-virus software can cause issues too. First thing to do is remove the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1, if that does not help try disabling your anti-virus.
mralston2

Post by mralston2 »

Uninstalled Microsoft .NET addon - no help. Norton Internet Security has been on this computer working well with add block for some time - I doubt that it's the culprit
mralston2

Post by mralston2 »

Disabled Norton and reattempted ADP install - same results
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Please use method 2 listed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707 when uninstalling .Net Framework Assistant - it won't really uninstall otherwise.

Did you disable Norton Antivirus or the add-on that it installed? I would suggest you do the latter.
mralston2

Post by mralston2 »

I tried to follow the steps in the web link for uninstalling the .Net Framework Assistant, but there is no {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} subkey. I followed the rest of the steps in the article that remove microsoftdotnet and dotnetassistantextension

I disabled, then deleted the Norton Internet Security add-ons.

The results are still the same. ABP appears to install, but there is no ABP stop sign to the right of the search box, or ABP content.

Curiously, Tools - Add-Ons displays add block plus as an add-on, with no ABP stop sign icon, and clicking Options locks up the computer.
Wladimir Palant

Clicking Options doesn't lock up anything - it displays an invisible (non-existing) modal dialog, you can close it by pressing Alt+F4. It's the same issue as in forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4742 then and I have no idea what is causing it.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I was having the same problem, tried all the fixes I could locate online, but to no avail. I finally reloaded this version from download.com and it cleared up the problem. http://download.cnet.com/Adblock-Plus/3 ... 29692.html
Wladimir Palant

That version is ancient, released almost three years ago...
gr8fullht

Post by gr8fullht »

I've been having continuous problems installing Firefox add-ons since I upgraded to Firefox 3. I don't recall which forum I read this in, but a suggestion was made to uninstall Ask Toolbar. I finally tried this, and voila! Ten extensions that repeatedly had this message in the add-ons menu: "this add-on will install when Firefox restarts", immediately and miraculously, installed . These included Adblock Plus, No Script, McAfee Site Advisor, Yahoo Toolbar, and Real Player Browser Record Plugin, to name a few. I can't believe such a simple thing could solve such an annoying problem.
gr8fullht

Post by gr8fullht »

After a little searching, I must give credit where credit is due. I found this solution on Bright Hub, on the following page: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb- ... 90065.aspx
Wladimir Palant