[Done] New Adblock Plus icons

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:efdur, not ADB - ABP :)
:shock: Exuse me :lol:
efdur

Post by efdur »

Anonymous wrote:
Wladimir Palant wrote:efdur, not ADB - ABP :)
:shock: Exuse me :lol:

Hello all,

This is a news complete set of icons:

http://abmc.queven.chez-alice.fr/ABP.png

the icons in a zipped file (.jar):

http://abmc.queven.chez-alice.fr/adblockplus.jar

efdur.
neobubu

Post by neobubu »

I stole the icon from some .dll found in windows xp system folder and arranged it to fit my need... well abd plus need more...

bottom is for "mouse over" top is for "mouse out"

Code: Select all

#abp-toolbarbutton {
	list-style-image: url("abp-enabled.png");
	-moz-image-region: rect( 0px 23px 23px 0px );
	width: auto;

}
#abp-toolbarbutton:hover{
    -moz-image-region: rect( 24px 23px 47px 0px );
}

#abp-toolbarbutton[deactivated] {
	list-style-image: url("abp-disabled.png");
	-moz-image-region: rect( 0px 23px 23px 0px );
}
#abp-toolbarbutton[deactivated]:hover{
	-moz-image-region: rect( 24px 23px 47px 0px );
}

#abp-toolbarbutton[disabled="true"] {
	list-style-image: url("abp-defunc.png");
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #abp-toolbarbutton {
	list-style-image: url("abp-enabled-16.png");
	-moz-image-region: rect( 0px 15px 15px 0px );
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #abp-toolbarbutton:hover{
	-moz-image-region: rect( 16px 15px 31px 0px );
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #abp-toolbarbutton[deactivated],
	#PersonalToolbar #abp-toolbarbutton[deactivated] {
	list-style-image: url("abp-disabled-16.png");
	-moz-image-region: rect( 0px 15px 15px 0px );
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #abp-toolbarbutton[deactivated]:hover{
	-moz-image-region: rect( 16px 15px 31px 0px );
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #abp-toolbarbutton[disabled="true"],
	#PersonalToolbar #abp-toolbarbutton[disabled="true"] {
	list-style-image: url("abp-defunc-16.png");
}
pitdicker

Post by pitdicker »

I really like the idee of a stop sign for Adblock Plus, but maybe the white stroke on the side should be slightly larger
ariel

Post by ariel »

I must disagree about the meaning of the red/green lights.

IMHO if we use traffic lights then we should use traffic light logic:
Red Light: Stop traffic/Stop advertising content.
Green Light: Allow traffic/Allow advertising content.
efdur

Post by efdur »

That all the world this puts agreement:

icone "disabled" red or green? :lol:

efdur.
jojaba

Post by jojaba »

Wladimir Palant wrote: As to the "stop sign" - no, I don't like it. It took me a while to figure out why it doesn't associate with a real stop sign for me. Then it stroke me - a stop sign is an octagon :) Simply compare: http://tti.tamu.edu/researcher/v40n1/im ... signD2.jpg
Right !
Here's the French stop sign : http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/si ... ignal=2085
As you see, it's the same sign everywhere in the world, I guess :roll: (in Europe it is the case).
And it definitely shouldn't say Adbp - the more or less common short name is ABP (it should be uppercased, like on the real stop sign).
STOP : 4 letters
ADBP : 4 letters :wink:
jojaba

Post by jojaba »

ariel wrote:I must disagree about the meaning of the red/green lights.

IMHO if we use traffic lights then we should use traffic light logic:
Red Light: Stop traffic/Stop advertising content.
Green Light: Allow traffic/Allow advertising content.
I agree with that :wink:

another idea : what about keeping the ADBP sign and add on the bordure of it a sign like a little v (validation sign) in green when activated and a red cross when disabled ?
adum

Post by adum »

I find that traffic lights icons are nice, but perhaps not very clear when using small size icons. In addition, red/green meaning will always provoke some kind of doubt, because the two possible criteria (ads blocked/allowed and ABP enabled/disabled) do not match. I happens the same thing with the "forbiden" sign on the cockroach.

I would suggest a possible option, avoiding green/red confusion:

- Stop sign red with ABP in white characters: ABP enabled (ads blocked/stopped)

- Stop sign grey with ABP in white characters: ABP not correctly installed

- Stop sign white with ABP in red characters
or
Stop sign yellow with ABP in black characters : ABP disabled (ads allowed)

In this way we woul avoid all the confusion regarding green signal. When ABP disabled the stop sign background (yellow or white) is different enough to wanr that current status is unusual (adblock disabled should be an exception, no the rule).
Master X

Post by Master X »

Its really difficult, so many different possible icons, most are nice and cute. But they have all the problem, that they cannot be identified easily and this enabled/disabled ads confusion too...
Arckon

Post by Arckon »

I think that the icon should be as simple as possible. The stop sign idea is OK, but it should not be overly complicated. If ad blocking is turned on, have it one color and if ads are not being blocked on that website (disabled for the current site), have it another color. And if ad blocking is disabled completely, then the icon should be grayed out.

Maybe have it red for "on", yellow or orange for "current site disabled," and grayed out for "no blocking at all."

The more stuff that gets crammed into the icon is just going to confuse everyone.
jojaba

Post by jojaba »

Arckon wrote:I think that the icon should be as simple as possible.
I agree :wink:
Maybe have it red for "on", yellow or orange for "current site disabled," and grayed out for "no blocking at all."
I'm not sure this is not confusing !
yellow or orange don't mean anything explicit in my opinion. Signs I write about in this message would be easier to understand, don't you think ? :wink:
adum

Post by adum »

jojaba wrote:
I'm not sure this is not confusing !
yellow or orange don't mean anything explicit in my opinion. Signs I write about in this message would be easier to understand, don't you think ? :wink:
I think when Adblock is enabled the stop sign with white ABP characters is enough, its meaning is very clear and does not need any other mark. The same can be applied when it is not correctly installed (grey color instead of red).
When Adblock is disabled for current page maybe it would be better something similar to your proposal, but changing also the background color. It could be ABP with black/red letters and white background (and the signal could be square or round, instead of octogonal) with some kind of warning symbol: exclamation mark, or small x as you suggested. Something similar to NoScript icon criteria, I think it is a good model to be followed.
Arckon

Post by Arckon »

@jojaba

Having a border around the icon may be a good idea too. Maybe have the sign red with green border for "on", red with no border for "current site disabled", and then grayed out for "no blocking at all".

I think the bottom line here is that there should only be 3 states for the icon, and too much varation in the look of it will just confuse everyone. But by adding a simple colored border around the icon should make the states stand apart from each other without confusing people too much. And of course, having the icon grayed out when ABP is turned off is probably the best way to go since a grayed out icon basically is a universal way of saying something is turned off.
Peng

Post by Peng »

With all this discussion with pretty, but confusing, icons, I'm liking the cockroach more and more. :P