[Done] New Adblock Plus icons

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
adum

Post by adum »

Peng wrote:With all this discussion with pretty, but confusing, icons, I'm liking the cockroach more and more. :P
I like the cockroach (perhaps the drawing could be improved) but the problem with the current cockroach button is exactly the same: it is confusing (enabled/disabled ads or disabled/enabled adblockplus).
Fox

Post by Fox »

I think there is nothing wrong with the one we have now.
But what ever happens, i don't wanna green color to be Adblock is enabled or Adblock is disabled -color.

Ok, green is only ok if it indicates that "Adblock Plus has been disabled for the current page" a.k.a "Whitelisted page".
alta88

Post by alta88 »

imo, the roach is quite bad. i'm all for a new icon as default.

it's pretty obvious what green and red mean to most anyone, universally. this app will eventually have a million downloads, so the fat part of the bell curve of 'what people understand most inately' should be considered.

adum is right - the question is whether it means abp is enabled or ads are enabled. if the icon has something like a page with some banner type images (like the icons at the top of the post) and a red circle|stop|X then meaning will be clearer - ads are disabled.

imo, flashblock does it right. f (for flash) with green circle means flash is enabled. not 'flash blocking application' is enabled. the function is greater than the app.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Just a note: there is also a cockroach icon with a green cirle (without a diagonal bar) - I intend to use it in the next version to indicate a whitelisted site (unless a better icon is proposed of course).
alta88

Post by alta88 »

wp, yes current abp is consistent with the 'function' approach.. i just don't believe that little brown thing is supposed to be a roach ;)

here's an idea: make the roach frown when abp is enabled and smile when disabled!

is there any other useful visual info on state the icon can give besides these?

All ads allowed
Ads allowed for this site
Ads blocked

i can only think of a ! in the icon for some sort of warning or error or attention message, filter update failed, etc. not sure - thing just works.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

alta88 wrote: here's an idea: make the roach frown when abp is enabled and smile when disabled!
ROFLOL That's rich!

I'm not making fun of your idea, but it made me laugh.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

hehe, it was meant to get a Laf..

the greasemonky icon, i have to admit, is the most creative/different one i've seen. you could do so much with it to indicate various info - like the monkey turns red if some action causes a script to err.
efdur

Post by efdur »

Hello,
here some new icones: silk step to shock by the use de"off "this word is known whole world, it is generally to use" on/off "for the electricals appliance.

There is a icone ABP with a green cerle of validation for the white list and plusior version for ABP in gray if it is badly installé.

If you please test these icones he is in zip has this address:

http://abmc.queven.chez-alice.fr/abpico.zip

Said what you think of these icones because it seems easy me to identify them.

efdur.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

efdur, The 2nd batch/line is my favorites. Even if someone didn't know what OFF or ABP meant the green circle with check would be enough. Nice work! You have my Vote on those!!
Arckon

Post by Arckon »

@efdur

You have some nice looking icons there! However, I don't understand what all of them mean. I think you have you might have too many icons there (or is that what you wanted...just trying them out?).

I would keep everything from the top row and then the icons with the green check marks on them. Or maybe replace the top right icons with the 3rd row of icons on the right side (with the gray ABP text).

Good work on those icons!
jojaba

Post by jojaba »

For information to those who don't understand it, ABP(and not D Efdur :wink: )liste blanche.png is the icon for white listed sites.
I think return to something simple makes the icons easier to understand. There is no confusion beetwen the meaning.
This release is my favourite :wink:
Great work !
You have some nice looking icons there! However, I don't understand what all of them mean. I think you have you might have too many icons there (or is that what you wanted...just trying them out?).
The main icon showing that AdblockPlus is enabled is called ABP-enabled.
You have 2 icons for the disabled status, so you must choose :wink: .
One icon for showing that the site is white listed (for the next release of ADP).
And 4 icons when ADP is non functionnal (A choice is also required here).

@Wladimir :
I think its time to open a vote on this post (or on another one) there is enough stuff to propose it, don't you think ?
adum

Post by adum »

I think this last set of icons is not only nice, but clearer - which is most important IMO.
Considering functionality, not aesthetics:
For coherency sake, I think that only defunc2 and defunc3 should be considered. Defunc1 and defunc4 perhaps are very clear and nicer, but they do not follow standard rule.
For disabled both version are easy to understand, but when using small icons disabled2 is perhaps a bit difficult to be noticed - not very different from enabled icon.
I could not test whitelisted icon. Looks OK, but I am not completely sure about it when using small icons.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

These are very nice icons.

Maybe 'liste blanche.png' could just be the standard icon with a GREEN background and white lettering .... like the green whitelist filter text itself?

... it would be much easier to identify as a small icon.

Very good job, efdur. :)

Post by Guest »

Yes, whitelist icon should be green, not red!
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Thanks elfdur, nice work indeed. I prefer the icon in the first row to indicate that Adblock Plus is disabled (abp-disabled). This might finally end the confusion about whether Adblock Plus is enabled or not. Also, I think that abp-defunc3 is best for "Adblock Plus not installed correctly".

I would also need abp-enabled in 32x32 - for the extension manager. And it wouldn't harm if I had the other icons in this size as well - we might need them for Thunderbird soon.

I will put up a development build with these icons soon so we can test them. Unfortunately there isn't much time, Adblock Plus 0.7 will be released tomorrow.