AdBrite problem

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
cadinfo

AdBrite problem

Post by cadinfo »

Help!

ABP seems to be the Extension responsible for adding an AdBrite tag to pages I'm browsing; but only when the pages are saved, or when I inspect them.

I want to be able to switch ABP on again, and really like the product.

Can anyone advise what's happening? Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] I should add that I use Iron browser and not Chrome. And the problem is 100% repeatable here.
--
BFN
CAD
ttjoseph

Re: AdBrite problem

Post by ttjoseph »

Can you provide a specific URL for which this reliably happens, so I can reproduce it?
cadinfo

Post by cadinfo »

ttjoseph wrote:Can you provide a specific URL for which this reliably happens, so I can reproduce it?
Well, it happens on EVERY page I browse, including this one:
forum/index.php

I've scanned my PC with avast! and Super Antispyware Professional, and both report my PC as clean (both have fully up to date definitions, BTW). There is definitely no AdBrite process running here either, according to Task Manager. And again if it helps, I'm running XP SP3 fully up to date with all patches applied.

If it makes a difference, I'm using Iron browser, not Google Chrome (I don't like being spied on!). By switching off all Extensions (I don't use many) and re-enabling one-by-one, it's definitely re-enabling ABP which causes this weird problem. I've also confirmed it by enabling all Extensions, then disabling only ABP, which makes the HTML injection stop.

And to repeat: if I View page source, no sign of this extra style tag containing AdBrite (just before the closing HTML tag, incidentally, regardless of the page). The injected stuff ONLY shows up if I save a page, or if I do Inspect element.

I haven't yet tried clearing my cache (which usually loses me some info I need to keep, and which is a pain to re-enter); but unless there's some subtle hack (maybe by "the spammer?") going on here that's parking code somewhere in the cache which then gets picked up by an Inspect element or Save page action, I couldn't see necessarily how that would work.

Thanks for looking into this; it's got me baffled!
--
BFN
CAD
Till
ABP CEO

Post by Till »

Strange problem, I can't imagine ABP really being the cause of this. What happens if you uninstall ABP and install it again?
mapx

Post by mapx »

I can confirm that strange problem, on google page but also other web pages :

initial code:

<style>#A9AdsMiddleBoxTop

last code:

iframe[name^="AdbriteFrame"] { display: none !important; }</style>

63596 characters

could be the list of the blocked elements (from easylist) ??
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

Aha! We have our answer. That is the list of CSS selectors that specify elements on the page to hide. It is not code from AdBrite. In fact, it is there to hide AdBrite ads, and many others.
cadinfo

Post by cadinfo »

Ah-ha! NOW I understand, and thank you so much for that!

OK, so in future if I'm saving a friend's page and sending a corrected copy of it to him, I'll be sure to remove that big long STYLE tag before I send it to him. :roll: I'll re-enable ABP as we speak, and I'll be sure to post the answer/correction on the ABP page in Google Chrome extensions in a very few minutes.

Thanks again for your prompt and excellent support! :D
--
BFN
CAD