Idea: Blockable Item list should always show blockable items

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Adblock Plus Fan

Idea: Blockable Item list should always show blockable items

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

This suggestion was inspired by this topic: forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6541

Do you think it is a good idea to apply the same rationale to the Blockable Items list?
Currently on whitelisted pages, we see this:
It could be changed into this:

The main reasoning is that a lot of experienced users like the Blockable Items list, they also like the control, overview and knowing what is going on. And in the current state, it feels like they are getting a penalty for whitelisting pages.

Good/bad?
LorenzoC

Re: Idea: Blockable Item list should always show bloackble items

Post by LorenzoC »

I guess for debugging purpose it would be better to have a "disable" button that does not disable ABP alltogether but disables all the filters in preferences and then shows the matching lines in "blockable items" in grey. This way you can either enable those filters one by one or add new filters without interference with existing ones.
Wladimir Palant

Re: Idea: Blockable Item list should always show blockable items

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I would actually consider whitelisting to do the right thing here whereas "Disable everywhere" is inconsistent - Adblock Plus shouldn't continue saving its data if it is disabled, this should help both performance and memory use. So changing "Disable everywhere" is probably a good idea to keep things consistent.

If we do that, we probably want to introduce a (hidden?) option for advanced users: show blockable items even if disabled. It would then apply to both cases, disable on a particular page and everywhere.

Moving to "Future development" for further discussion.
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

That makes sense.
When the page is whitelisted, user gets a "Whitelisted page" message.
When the page is blank, user gets a "No Blockable items" message.
Maybe there should be a message for "Disable everywhere" too?
Not sure of which colour the message should be in, I would suggest red or black.
(hidden?)
Yeah, it's probably best to keep it hidden. For new users, this option is not as importance at all.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

The only reason I questioned whether it needs to be hidden is that we are going to hide advanced options by default - forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6449

We probably want to use gray color instead of green and change wording to say "disabled" rather than "whitelisted" - for consistency with the icon.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

I came across this also, was rather annoying especially when you're trying to debug quick loading anti-adblock scripts, it would be nice to turn it off with a switch.