Recommended filters for Chrome block too much

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Strulf

Recommended filters for Chrome block too much

Post by Strulf »

Interactive maps on http://www.zeit.de (like this one of north africa if you scroll down a bit: http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2011 ... te-staemme) don't work if "Recommended filters for Google Chrome" are active.

Would it be able to change that?

Thank you
Wladimir Palant

Re: Recommended filters for Chrome block too much

Post by Wladimir Palant »

At least with the current development build the issue happens with plain EasyList as well, probably because now it really blocks all the doubleclick scripts. Adding an exception for doubleclick.net "fixes" the issue. No idea why everything works correctly in Firefox.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Weird, works fine with FF3 but not with FF4. If I open the link in a new tab with the latest nightly, the map loads and works but if I refresh the site after that, the map is is broken. If I open the link without sending the referrer or if I open it in the same window, the map is broken (cleared cache and cookies before testing).
Wladimir Palant

Ok, this seems to be a subtle bug in WebKit paired with an unsafe assumption on zeit.de, as a result we get timing issues. doubleclick scripts delay page load, this tends to mask the issue. But the problem is always there, with or without Adblock Plus.

Filed WebKit bug: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55132
Wladimir Palant

I think that it fails in Firefox 4 for different reasons - Firefox 4 now loads scripts that are inserted dynamically in parallel which breaks some assumptions. At least my testcase for the WebKit bug still produces the expected results in Firefox 4. So - yes, zeit.de is making unsafe assumptions.
Strulf

Post by Strulf »

Wladimir Palant wrote:At least with the current development build the issue happens with plain EasyList as well, probably because now it really blocks all the doubleclick scripts. Adding an exception for doubleclick.net "fixes" the issue. No idea why everything works correctly in Firefox.
Sadly, that doesn't work either. The only way to get the map to work is to unclick EasyList and the recommended filters. Worked with EasyList before though, so I don't know why it suddenly doesn't.
Wladimir Palant

Because you are on Adblock Plus 1.1 now which implements proper blocking, something that previously had to be compensated by the recommended filters. Without the ad scripts this page loads too fast which reveals the bug in the way the map loads.
Strulf

Post by Strulf »

Would it be possible then to exclude it from EasyList? It works without EasyList and I don't want to deactivate EasyList since it helps a lot on other sites. I already asked Michael of EasyList but he changed the thread there to NA so I'm not sure if he is still reading in that thread at all.

http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=8134
Wladimir Palant

A better course of action would be contacting zeit.de and pointing out the issue in their code. If the information in the Chrome issue I filed isn't enough I can provide them with the details.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I continue to read and, if necessary, respond to all posts even after having changed the topic title and have provided the following response to your request:
Michael wrote:According to Wladimir "the problem is always there, with or without Adblock Plus" due to "a subtle bug in WebKit paired with an unsafe assumption on zeit.de" and there is therefore little point in whitelisting items on this domain.
Strulf

Post by Strulf »

Wladimir Palant wrote:A better course of action would be contacting zeit.de and pointing out the issue in their code. If the information in the Chrome issue I filed isn't enough I can provide them with the details.
Well what should I tell them? Sorry can you please repair your site so I can block your ads again? I don't think they're gonna react to that. Besides, I'm not a developer so I can't really tell them exactly what the problem on their site is.

And I dont't see the point in NOT whitelisting Zeit.de.... It's just one site.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Strulf wrote:And I dont't see the point in NOT whitelisting Zeit.de.... It's just one site.
:lol:

Then somebody else comes along and wants just one site whitelisted...
Strulf

Post by Strulf »

Ok can you at least tell me what filter of EasyList exactly doesn't work with that map on zeit.de?