ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
xxhoosierxx

ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Post by xxhoosierxx »

First off, I have used ABP for FF for years, fantastic product!

With FF, it speeds up browsing, as it stops items from DLing. When using ABP for Chrome, I can see ads intially and then hide 1 sec after they already loaded, which can get annoying. It also makes it slower because it doesn't stop ads from DLing.

I understand Chrome adblocking capability isn't nearly as good a FF currently, but why is this?

How will ABP for Chrome behave in the future? In there any hope for it to be able to stop ads from DLing anytime soon? When will ABP for Chrome do more than just hide ads after they already load?

Thanks for any info!
Wladimir Palant

Re: ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Post by Wladimir Palant »

See en/known-issues-chrome#blocking
This is something I am working on right now, should be fixed soon.

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:See en/known-issues-chrome#blocking
Thanks! So does Chrome now allow for you to completely stop ads from downloading Mr. Panant?
xxhoosierxx

Post by xxhoosierxx »

Wladimir Palant wrote:See en/known-issues-chrome#blocking

Ok, thank you. Great to hear.
Wladimir Palant

@Guest: As I said, I am working on it.

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@Guest: As I said, I am working on it.

Thank you. Do you have a time frame you are targeting to release the updated Chrome ABP?
Wladimir Palant

No, I don't. I expect the development build to be available this week (en/development-builds), there will be an announcement. As to the release - it depends on the feedback on that development build.
Wladimir Palant

The announcement has been posted now: development-builds/first-attempt-to-hav ... -in-chrome
The current development build does proper blocking already. There might still be issues, it was quite a significant change - but I didn't notice any so far.
xxhoosierxx

Post by xxhoosierxx »

Wladimir Palant wrote:The announcement has been posted now: development-builds/first-attempt-to-hav ... -in-chrome
The current development build does proper blocking already. There might still be issues, it was quite a significant change - but I didn't notice any so far.

Wow. Now this version for Chrome is amazing. It is so much faster now, and actually stop from dling, them fantastic job well done!

It has worked with no problems on every site except on 1 website, GameSpot.com for some reason.

Otherwise, thank you Wladmir. Finally Chrome has an adblocker that nearly equals FF!
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

using latest development build and works great but youtube in video adds are not blocked again with new build. hope that gets fixed soon.

Post by Guest »

super_fox wrote:using latest development build and works great but youtube in video adds are not blocked again with new build. hope that gets fixed soon.

There is also a weird glitch, when you pull up Youtube, the bottom half of video images dont load until you scroll down.
Wladimir Palant

@xxhoosierxx, super_fox: More details please!

@xxhoosierxx: The only ad I could see was the body background - I indeed broke this hack unintentionally. Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplusc ... d119f97af2

@super_fox: Links? It seems to work for me. Please note that the option "Block ads inside YouTube videos" needs to be turned on and it will only work on youtube.com - not for YouTube videos that are embedded on other sites.
Wladimir Palant

Guest wrote:There is also a weird glitch, when you pull up Youtube, the bottom half of video images dont load until you scroll down.
I think that one is a YouTube feature, they try not to waste your bandwidth. Please try disabling Adblock Plus - if that changes something please explain what exactly I should do to see this issue.
Steve

Post by Steve »

newgadgets.de Here comes advertising.
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

here is the link to the video that has the add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSG6z_13-Q it seams this is a hit and miss add very strange