ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome

Re: ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@xxhoosierxx, super_fox: More details please!

@xxhoosierxx: The only ad I could see was the body background - I indeed broke this hack unintentionally. Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplusc ... d119f97af2

@super_fox: Links? It seems to work for me. Please note that the option "Block ads inside YouTube videos" needs to be turned on and it will only work on youtube.com - not for YouTube videos that are embedded on other sites.
I was hoping that you could easily fix this. Now that you updated it, it resorts to just hiding the backgrounds all over again. How can you block all other ads, but have to just hide body backgrounds after they initally load? Is there a problem blocking backgrounds?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Guest: Yes, backgrounds cannot be blocked, a Chrome limitation - see en/known-issues-chrome#itemtypes

@super_fox: I cannot view that video, "not available in your country". I got a link to another video however where ads supposedly appear - I don't see any, I guess that this is a timing issue caused by additional content scripts. I intended to change the way content scripts are loaded anyway, will do that shortly.

@Steve: Yes, it's the same in Firefox - EasyList Germany isn't currently blocking these ads. You can add these filters yourself:

Code: Select all

||newgadgets.de/gaming.swf
||newgadgets.de/td.gif
I reported this issue in the EasyList Germany forum: http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=8112
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Steve wrote:newgadgets.de Here comes advertising.
Added to EasyList Germany https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/5300b6a9ac6d
Wladimir Palant

@super_fox: Please try the current development build, do you still see ads in YouTube videos?
threepwood

Post by threepwood »

I'm seeing ads on Youtube with Chrome 9.0.597.98, with ABP 1.0.26.632

Tried with Easylist, tried with Fanboy + Fanboy Espanol/portuguese supplement and I see them with either ones.
Steve

Post by Steve »

live-point.blogspot.com Here comes advertising.
Wladimir Palant

@Steve: Once again an ad that appears in Firefox as well - this one simply isn't covered by your filters.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Reported, we can look forward to this weekend on a new version? 8)
Wladimir Palant

I'm not doing releases on weekends. I will look into the YouTube issues once again (Tom Joseph proposed a solution), if everything works then - a release on Monday should be doable.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Wladimir Palant

Tom Joseph's solution for YouTube ads is now checked in and a new development build is available. From my testing it looks like the problems are finally resolved. It would be nice to have a confirmation.

Post by Guest »

Not sure if its a bug with Adblock or with Chrome but if I open a group of bookmarks in tabs, only some tabs has the ads blocked. Refreshing the individual tabs will remove the ads.
Wladimir Palant

It's still the same trouble with Chrome's architecture - Adblock Plus cannot start blocking until the individual tab gets the necessary data from the extension process. This is pretty fast now but if you open many tabs at once some of the tabs will get the data with considerable delay - anything that manages to load until then will only be hidden, not blocked. Which is particularly fatal in case of scripts, if they are not blocked they will execute and hiding after the fact is pointless.
Tom Seiber

Post by Tom Seiber »

Are some issues in Google Chrome 10 fixxed?
Wladimir Palant

What I am talking about is not an issue - Google Chrome has been designed that way :-(