[Ready for translating] New home page

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
Wladimir Palant

[Ready for translating] New home page

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I suggested restructuring the website in forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6010, the new home page has been created now: en/newindex. And it links to the new system requirements page, largely inspired by the Firefox system requirements. Once this page goes live "Home", "Development builds" and "Screenshots" should be removed from the top menu.

This isn't final of course, comments and suggestions are welcome. The introduction text should probably be made more introductional - assume somebody who knows nothing about Adblock Plus and tell him why he is here. Also, I'm not sure whether the screenshots link makes sense where it is.

Finally, there is a terminology change here - development builds have been renamed into nightly builds. The latter is a name actively used in Firefox development and will probably make sense to more people, not to mention that it is easier to translate this way. Also, these days the builds are really generated automatically at night, only that is isn't every night (we don't have the same amount of changes as Firefox). What do you think?
Wladimir Palant

Re: New home page

Added warnings to be displayed for non-Gecko browsers and K-Meleon. Also added K-Meleon to the system requirements page.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I only have a couple of minor suggestions for wording changes:
https://adblockplus.org/en/newindex wrote:Nightly builds allow you to test drive future Adblock Plus versions before they are officially released.
https://adblockplus.org/en/newindex wrote:It appears that your browser is not supported by Adblock Plus. Please consult the system requirements for information about suitable platforms.
https://adblockplus.org/en/requirements wrote:Adblock Plus is a platform-independent extension, which means that it can be installed on any operating system provided that a host application is available; supported programs and versions are listed below.
I'm not entirely convinced that referring to development builds as "nightly builds" is necessarily going to make the releases any more comprehensible given that the target audience is people who are not familiar with add-ons, but it certainly is a possible alternative to the current term.
Wladimir Palant

Thank you, I applied your suggestions (mostly, kept two sentences on the requirements page).

I'm not sure myself whether "nightly builds" will be more understandable. But it should make things easier for translators if nothing else. I had trouble myself trying to translate "development builds". At least "nightly builds" should have a translation already, thanks to Firefox.
alberto

Post by alberto »

I do not think either term -- translated or not -- is very understandable to anyone unfamiliar with the software release life cycle concept. The translated term in Spanish reads something like "version in development" (development build) and "version created at night" (nightly build). Perhaps we could suggest to translate from "version in development" if they cannot find a suitable / existing translation for the term.

Another alternative could be using the widely known 'beta' term e.g. beta version, beta release, or beta channel. With the intermediate experimental branch and automated testing suite, the frequency and stability of development builds is close to what one would expect of a beta version. That would mean using the 'beta' term in the broader sense, but still have alpha, beta, release candidate phases.

BTW, for the wording of that section, the Firefox Beta website have some good phases like "Help test the future of Firefox!" that you could get inspiration from.
Last edited by alberto on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
alberto

Post by alberto »

What is the relevance of a "what's new" section in the homepage? IMHO new visitors will not grasp this, and most of existing ABP users would have upgraded automatically anyway.

Perhaps this could instead be a "key features" section, which highlights with a tag the recently new / improved features. This would explain at a glance why we refer to ABP as the best, most flexible, etc ads blocker, and will be relevant to most visitors.
As a rough example:
* Simple setup - ABP suggests the most suitable configuration for your language
* Automatically block ads using community-created filter subscriptions
* Flexible - create your own filters
* Contribute - issue reporter to notify maintainers [NEW]
* Powerful tools to create and maintain filters
* Performance [IMPROVED]
* Support for Firefox Sync [NEW]
* Supports Firefox, Fennec, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey [IMPROVED]

[What's new in this release] --> link to changelog

The Firefox homepage would be a good example of this approach i.e. install button & features explanation in home page
Wladimir Palant

This has been sitting around way too long unfortunately. I think that I finally incorporated all the feedback I got on the new homepage, the new version is here: en/firefox

I decided to remove the introduction text entirely and leave only a few short bullet points. Unfortunately, I also don't think that I can continue mentioning filter subscriptions there - new users simply don't care. "What's new" section is gone, now it is simply a link to the changelog under the installation button. I also shortened and reformulated the development builds section. The about.com "award" is very questionable but - who cares, it looks nice on a product homepage so I added it.

Finally, it is probably a good idea to have the Adblock Plus symbol on the install button. And some people are obviously afraid that it will cost them, so "It is free, no hidden costs!"

The page got quite a bit shorter, less text as well which should be a good thing. The idea is to have a similar Chrome page, en/ will display either the Firefox or the Chrome page automatically depending on your browser. What do you think?
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:... The idea is to have a similar Chrome page, en/ will display either the Firefox or the Chrome page automatically depending on your browser. What do you think?
Alternatively, you could have just the one main home page with choices to branch to Firefox or Chrome (or K-Meleon). There could be cases of folks using one browser but still wanting to read about ABP for the other browser. That way, there maybe less confusion.
maybee

Post by maybee »

Good job :)
I wish I could see a latest or very important News(or notice) at the right side of the page.
Maybee It is good to be below or above the Youbute section
e.g. An important bug : forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6263
it's just idea :)
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I think it looks great. As far as suggestions go there is always endless options on what should or shouldn't be on the home page. But you have to decide or the page will be to crowded and some will just move on. It's not like the other info or pages can't be found if they want to read/see more links are right there on top. Again I think it looks great!! Nice work!
Wladimir Palant

@maybee: I used to show latest entries from my blog on the first page - but it doesn't look like there are many "news" worth mentioning on the homepage. Somebody who comes to this page is either new to Adblock Plus (and then doesn't care about these "news") or will know to click on "Blog".
Wladimir Palant

I cleaned up the layout on en/firefox and allowed translating - should be mostly done.

I also finalized en/requirements - updated it slightly, added Chrome to the list, removed the note about "special builds" for K-Meleon (our new install page will take care of pointing the users to the correct page). This one should be ready for translating as well.

Now I only need to add a Chrome install page...
Wladimir Palant

This should be ok as our Chrome start page: en/chrome
What do you think? The image on the right side is more of a placeholder, we should get an introduction video soon that can be used there.
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Ready for translating] New home page

I do not hear any objections - both en/firefox and en/chrome are ready for translating then.
adum

Re: [Ready for translating] New home page

Post by adum »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I do not hear any objections - both en/firefox and en/chrome are ready for translating then.
I have found some problems when translating both pages:
* the "next translation >>" button does not work through all the pages; I had to "jump" to the different areas of the page by clicking on the strings to translate. Not a big annoyance, but it is a different behaviour from the other pages already translated.
* in order to translate all the page, I had to open them with Firefox, Chrome and IE, so all the different warning messages were displayed and could be translated. Even so, I could only translate 82/90% of each page. Probably there are some warning messages to be translated yet, but I am still trying to find out how to force them to display.