My filters are not working properly in Chrome

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Jesper

My filters are not working properly in Chrome

Post by Jesper »

Heya all.

I am a long time user of ABP/Firefox, and I've been waiting for a long time for the Chrome Edition of ABP, and just by sheer luck I noticed it today, in a semi related Google search.
I have created a couple of filtersets my self and they work fine in Firefox 3.5x/3.6x and 4.0. However in Chrome they are "kind of" broken.
My filtersets are for Facebook and MafiaWars (on the FB platform). They can be found on http://adblock.fallenangel.dk ..

The first issue came when I clicked on the subscribe link on my website, Chrome said it had to launch a third party app, my HDD's spun out of bounds, and then nothing, so I added the url's manually from the options tab.
I assume this is beacuse Chrome doesn't understand the abp:// schema ?

On with the not working filtersets.
I installed my Facebook and my 4 Mafia filtersets, then navigated to facebook.com, and my filter for that seems to work, as intended.
Then I went to Mafia, and it appears that only 2 of the 4 filtersets are working / loaded. Specifically it is my pop-ops and overlay sets that aren't working. (Still they work in Firefox).

Zynga is using some transparent overlays that I removed, they show in Chrome, so it is easy to see that something isn't working properly.
Same with the pop-ops, I've chosen to hide most of them, yet in Chrome they show up.
It makes me think that the last 2 (of 5) filters isn't loaded at all, is there some way to check it?

I know ABP for Chrome is still in beta, but I thought I better report this in good time.
Maybe this is no bug but a flaw in my filters?
If you want to take a look the 2 sets that are not working as they should are located at:

Code: Select all

http://adblock.fallenangel.dk/filters/adblockplus.filterset.mafiawars.3.overlays.txt
http://adblock.fallenangel.dk/filters/adblockplus.filterset.mafiawars.4.popops.txt
Before you ask, then I tried:
Restart Chrome, no luck
Delete the 2 filters and re-add them, no luck
Restart Chrome again, no luck.
No other addons or themes are installed.

OS Info:
Fedora 14 (2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64)
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor
google-chrome-stable-9.0.597.107-75357.x86_64 (from Google's own repo).

_
Jesper
Jesper

Re: My filters are not working properly in Chrome

Post by Jesper »

I just downloaded the latest devbuild and it solved the issues :-)

Keep up the fantastic work.. ABP is the only addon you need, well that and noscript :-)

_
Jesper
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

I was a bit too quick on the reply button there, sorry about that.. I did some more testing, over the past 90 minutes and, neither of the 2 above mentioned filtersets are working.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I see that you have some filters based on the style attribute - these won't work in either Chrome or Firefox 4 (the value of the style attribute is different there because the browser keeps it as specified in the HTML source). But other than that I cannot see any reason why these filters shouldn't work.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Hi Wladimir.

I am using Firefox 4.0 b12, and those filters with the style attribute works just fine, both those I use with and without regex, or at least I have not noticed otherwise nor had any complains about them.

I grabbed the latest dev build, just now, and I made 2 screenshots (from Chrome & Firefox) so you can see one of the filters that isn't working.
For the convenience of not cluttering up the forum with images and to conserve bandwidth, I am going to link to the images, rather than using the img.bbcode.

From my 3rd filterset (adblockplus.filterset.mafiawars.3.overlays.txt) where none of them works, the filter name that should apply here is :

mafiawars.com##DIV.pop_bg
The filter hides a transparent overlay that prevents the user from clicking anywhere but on close/X

In Firefox the filter works as you can see on image 1, but in Chrome the filter doesn't work.
Firefox (firefox-4.0-0.18.b12.fc16.x86_64)
Chrome (google-chrome-stable-10.0.648.127-76697.x86_64)

I tried to add the filter manually and with the "Easy Create Filter" in Chrome, but it didn't help, until I it like :

apps.facebook.com##DIV.pop_bg
Now it works in Chrome, and I assume that if I duplicate all my broken filters, and changes the address they will also work.

_
Jesper
Wladimir Palant

Now I see. Yes, ABP/Chrome apparently bases hiding rules on the domain of the wrong frame.
Wladimir Palant

Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplusc ... 944d70e8c5
A development build with this change will be available in 30 minutes.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

That is so awesome, thank you for the swift action :-)
I grabbed the new dev build and it works like a charm.

Then there is just the matter of the url handler in Chrome, I'll start a new topic about it, so it'll be easier for other people to find :-)

_
Jesper