External Protocol Request

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Jesper

External Protocol Request

Post by Jesper »

Hi, it's me again.

Whenever I click on an abp:subscribe uri, Chrome pops op the "External Protocol Request" window. saying that it needs to open "xdg-open %url"
I tried allowing it to do that, but it has very little effect, or in other words, not a damn thing happens.
Screenshot

Now I know this isn't a Chrome support forum, but how the heck do I change that, so Chrome actually subscribes to the filterset?
Or maybe it has to be added via the abp addon upon installation?

I've been traversing Google and Google support pages for hours, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to add/edit url-handlers, without using the gconftool-2 (Linux) or editing the registry file (Windows), I didn't bother to try any of the methods that the users over there mentioned, cause it just doesn't seem right that a browser-user should be an IT expert in order to make things work, and I don't want to screw up other url-handler settings either.

[edit]If you accidently ticked "Remember...." and clicked "Launch App", you can undo it by closing Chrome, and then open the ~/.config/google-chrome/Local\ State file with nano, gedit, whatever text-editor, find the string

Code: Select all

"abp": false
and delete it.[/edit]

My OS & Stuff:
Fedora 14 (2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64)
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor
google-chrome-stable-10.0.648.127-76697.x86_64

_
Jesper
Wladimir Palant

Re: External Protocol Request

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Jesper wrote:how the heck do I change that, so Chrome actually subscribes to the filterset?
You don't, this feature needs to be added to Adblock Plus first. Given that it requires new user interface as well as some changes to subscription management first this might take a while. But we will add it, for sure.
Jesper

Re: External Protocol Request

Post by Jesper »

Ok, I'll just sit back and wait :-)