EHH - Aardvark de-widthify

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
SilverWave

EHH - Aardvark de-widthify

Post by SilverWave »

Hi,

Removing an element is great but can I select another element and de-widthify it.

This would allow me to make use of the freed up space to display the content I am interested in.

EHH is fantastic but this would be a killer feature.

Also looking at EHH I believe it incorporates a lot off Aardvark code already...
Wladimir Palant

Re: EHH - Aardvark de-widthify

Post by Wladimir Palant »

EHH is only a helper to create rules for Adblock Plus. And Adblock Plus currently supports hiding elements, changing their properties isn't possible. That's something you would use Stylish for.
an0n1m0us

Post by an0n1m0us »

I can relate to SilverWave's thinking. Both EHH and Aardvark, plus Firebug, all do the visual element highlighting thing however there is no such functionality for Stylish. If the developers of these extensions could pool their knowledge into creating a visual Stylish syntax creation tool that would rock and roll. It is very annoying that, with Greasemonkey thrown in, there are almost too many tools for customising a user's experience however none of them are complete.

I think I read that the Firebug people are refactoring a lot of their code into modules re-usable by other extensions. It would be fabulous if someone could write a single element selection tool that had options for all the page customisation extensions out there. For example, once a user had selected an element, a context menu could be displayed with options like this:

- Block with Ad Block Plus
- Change behavior or style with Greasemonkey
- Change style with Stylish
- View details in Firebug
- View details in DOM Inspector

Maybe in time, who knows? I wish I had the skills and confidence to do it myself.

WP do you think it would take much code to make such as extension pass an appropriate element reference to ABP?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

an0n1m0us wrote:WP do you think it would take much code to make such as extension pass an appropriate element reference to ABP?
Adblock Plus doesn't work with element references - it needs a CSS selector. So you would want to pass that element reference to EHH which would then allow you to create a selector and pass it to ABP. Not much code but a pretty fragile chain :)

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:EHH is only a helper to create rules for Adblock Plus. And Adblock Plus currently supports hiding elements, changing their properties isn't possible.
Ah, I had hopes when I saw the "Custom CSS" in the advanced view :-(
Wladimir Palant wrote:That's something you would use Stylish for.
I was looking to replace Platypus without having to install another large extension :-)
EHH seemed tempting as it did most of what I needed.

___

Perhaps what I need is really for EHH to collapse... not hides elements.

Adblock Plus does support collapsing does it not ;-)
SilverWave

Post by SilverWave »

SilverWave wrote:
Ah, I had hopes when I saw the "Custom CSS" in the advanced view :-(
___

Adblock Plus does support collapsing does it not ;-)
This was me - sorry thought I was logged in :roll:
SilverWave

EHH to collapse... not hides elements.

Post by SilverWave »