Why do I see ads on the noscript main page? I have Ad Block

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Ares2

Re: Why do I see ads on the noscript main page? I have Ad Block

Post by Ares2 »

JonathanShade wrote:hypocrisy, selfishness and arrogance
I'm usually not a friend of insulting people, but as far as I'm concerned, those 3 characteristics accurately describe Giorgio's behavior in this case (and beyond).
Giorgio Maone wrote:I haven't touched the "site design" for almost two years now, and I don't "actively make" anything about it.
In the best case that's a useless and misleading play of words (it might not be the "site's design" that you actively make anything about but the "markup", "structure" or however you want to call it), in the worst case it's a blatant lie.
Giorgio Maone wrote:this picture of an evil and obsessive webmaster "actively" watching subscription authors and "changing site design in an effort to thwart attempts" is quite off base.
Yeah, totally off base. :roll: I mean all those randomization stuff was of course "accidentally" added to the site. Also, after months of consistent markup, it is "suddenly" changed several times a day again, right after rules to block the ads have been added to EasyList. Now what a funny coincidence. Seriously, what about being honest? Did it not work out for you in the past?
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

Strange how he sets himself up like this, didn't he just profess a few days ago that he doesn't actively work against adblock subscriptions...?

But then again, this does not come as a surprise to me, just look at what he said two years ago:
Either his priority list is in reverse order and completely worthless, or he simply does not give a flying script about any of his promises and does not give a flying script about how the rest of the internet thinks of him as a person :P
vasa1

Post by vasa1 »

Whoever visits that site gets what they deserve ;)
Adblock Plus Fan

Post by Adblock Plus Fan »

JonathanShade wrote:noscript is now removed from my machine and I will NEVER install anything he's involved with ever again.
Maybe you're overreacting... I personally think Noscript is still a good extension despite some of its quirks. Even though I allow all scripts, I still have great use of the java applet placeholder. Haven't found any alternatives for it yet.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

^Indeed, I prefer to apply the plugin-launching restrictions to whitelisted sites too, and then whitelist all sites; it's like Flashblock but more comprehensive, or like Stop Autoplay but without the buggy interaction with IE Tab+
Alan wrote:Resistance is futile. I see them so often that I no longer notice them. Normal NoScript users shouldn't need to go to the home page often anyhow. Just uncheck NoScript Options > Notifications > Display the release notes on updates. Since the ads don't bother me anymore -- and I do like to see the release notes -- I never bothered to uncheck it.
QFT, I hate it when all those tabs pop up when my Firefox extensions update.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.

Post by Guest »

FYI, EasyList kills the bottom entries of each NoScript FAQ section.

For instance, http://noscript.net/faq#qa7_5 (linked by this Wikipedia Article) opens the top of the FAQ page, rather than deeplinking to the proper FAQ entry, because FAQ 7.5 is completely missing for ABP+EasyList users, together with seven other FAQ entries :(

I discovered this one randomly, while following the aforementioned Wikipedia link (most people would have just said "broken link", I guess), but I'd bet EasyList is breaking other stuff as well...
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Fixed in EasyList.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:but I'd bet EasyList is breaking other stuff as well...
... like the big "Donate" box on the home page, just below the screenshot... ooops, that screenshot is missing too.

Adblock Plus break NoScript's donation box & screenshot

Post by Guest »

** Merged topic **

Adblock Plus + EasyList, both Firefox 4 Windows XP 64 and Linux, Firefox 3.6.16 & Firefox 4.0.

On NoScript's home page, http://noscript.net, both the main screenshot and the large donation box are missing when Adblock Plus is enabled.
If I disable Adblock Plus, one ad in the header disappears and both the donation box and the screenshots are back.

Screenshots:

Re: Adblock Plus break NoScript's donation box & screenshot

Post by Guest »

What would this link mean?
Are you perhaps suggesting that hiding informative content and the donation buttons which sustain a free software project is OK whenever blocking proper ads is too hard?
Hubird

Re: Adblock Plus break NoScript's donation box & screenshot

Post by Hubird »

:lol: I thought all the ads would sustain the project.

Perhaps if the site wasn't regularly modified to try and prevent adblocking we wouldn't be in this situation.

Re: Adblock Plus breaks NoScript's donation box & screenshot

Post by Guest »

Hubird wrote::lol: I thought all the ads would sustain the project.
Or, if you think better, both are needed to sustain a very complex and time consuming project (looking at the changelog and at the source code, at least).
Hubird wrote:Perhaps if the site wasn't regularly modified to try and prevent adblocking we wouldn't be in this situation.
So this site deserved it, right.
The fact is, you failed at blocking ads but succeeded at blocking donations :P
Time for a "DonateBlock Plus" fork? (the "Plus" is for the FAQs and the screenshots blocked as a bonus).
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

If you (or the noscript author) deliberately modify the site so that it no longer displays correctly for EasyList users whose fault is that?

Re: Adblock Plus breaks NoScript's donation box & screenshot

Post by Guest »

Hubird wrote:If you (or the noscript author) deliberately modify the site so that it no longer displays correctly for EasyList users whose fault is that?
Neither me (??) nor the NoScript author (see Wayback Machine at 21 October 2010) have modified that donation box for a long time (and it's idiotic to believe anybody would "deliberately" modify his "site so that it no longer display correctly" for any user).

So the fault for hiding them belongs, with no doubt, to EasyList's authors, either for sloppiness (couldn't they test before releasing?), or for stupidity, or for malice.
Since they didn't fix it yet, one may believe the 3rd to be most likely answer.

Anyway, I guess it's not easy for content to stay visible when a web site is turned into a minefield by dozens of crazy filters like these:

Code: Select all

#  curl -k https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy+easylist.txt 2>/dev/null | grep 'noscript\.net'
||noscript.net/%*f.js
||noscript.net/af.js
||noscript.net/x.js
noscript.net###google > :nth-child(n+3) a[href]
noscript.net###google > div + style + *
noscript.net###google > span + span + *
noscript.net###google > span + span + style + *
noscript.net###google a[target="_blank"][href*="noscript.net/"]
noscript.net###google a[target][href^="/"]
noscript.net###head :first-child:last-child > :first-child:last-child
noscript.net###head a[target="_blank"][href*="noscript.net/"]
noscript.net###head a[target][href^="/"]
noscript.net###head style + :last-child
noscript.net###left-side > .product-logo + :last-child
noscript.net###left-side > :nth-child(n+3) a[href]
noscript.net###left-side a[href*="noscript.net/"]
noscript.net###main > .content > :first-child
noscript.net##.content :not(p) > a[target][href^="/"]
noscript.net##.content > [style] + DIV + *
noscript.net##.content > p > :first-child:last-child
noscript.net##.content > p > a:first-child + *
noscript.net##.content > p > style + *
noscript.net##.content > p > style + * a[target="_blank"][href*="noscript.net/"]
noscript.net##.product-logo + .install-button + style + *
noscript.net##.product-logo + a + *
noscript.net##.product-logo + style + *
noscript.net##div[class] > div + style + *
noscript.net##div[class]:last-child > style + * > *
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Does anybody care that NoScript site looks ugly, amateurish and that it is covered by annoying patches?
It makes me feel like puking every time I take a look at it.