bug with DeerPark 10/7

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
godard

bug with DeerPark 10/7

Post by godard »

I've been enjoying using your version of Adblock for a while now, however i've confirmed this bug on my mac with 0.5.8 and just now 0.5.7. If you close all windows on DeerPark, you can nolonger create new windows, neither the menu or key commands work. I don't know if this is peculiar to the version of DP i'm using or a bug with Adblock, just thought it was worth mentioning.
mcm

Post by mcm »

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself, but I've had another user report the problem who also is running a mac. Although he tells me 0.5.7 (not the development builds 0.5.7+) is free from this issue.
godard

Post by godard »

Thanks mcm, i'm glad there is only one other user with the issue. It's very rarely a problem, but thought it worth keeping an eye on. Cheers from Wellington.
Dar

Post by Dar »

I can corroborate this as well; I updated to 0.5.8 and updated to a new nightly on the same day. Let me tell you, it was a real pain trying to figure out which extension was causing it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b3) Gecko/20050713 Firefox/1.0+
hank

Me too, I found this documented, um, somewhere else ...

Post by hank »

Someone has a thread discussing this as a known problem with 0.5.8, or 0.5.8+ (I forget if one or the other or both) being known to break the nightly window and extension and menus operations in Firefox 1.0+
-- I found it discussed on a web page somewhere, a few days ago, finally.

Where the heck? Rats, I thought it was here.

Anyhow it's a known problem. To someone.

I'm using OSX nightlies of Firefox, and have been safe using AdBlockPlus "Icon" 0.5.7+ with them up through Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050717 Firefox/1.0+

Note, I do regularly create new plain vanilla Profiles and move over my bookmarks, etc. and reinstall each extension by hand, when updating to a new nightly produces any odd behavior at all in any veature.
mcm

Post by mcm »

I think I have found the problem, but since I've never experienced the issue myself I can't confirm. Is someone willing to test the latest development build for me and verify:

http://p2.forumforfree.com/development- ... kplus.html
hank

Works for me

Post by hank »

I just downloaded your dev build, installed and restarted FF
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050719 Firefox/1.0+

I confirm I am able to close all windows then open a new window, and
am able to open the Extensions pulldown menu and see what should be there.

I'll report back later if I manage to break anything but on first take, you got it working.
mcm

Post by mcm »

That's good news, thanks for getting back to me hank.

If you're on the bug hunt then enable javascript.options.showInConsole under about:config and check "Tools->Javascript Console" from time to time.
hank

Post by hank »

Done, thanks, I'm a botanist and editor, though I've been using computers a while* so any such tips about settings and how to help track bugs in software much appreciated.

_____
* (the first computer I used, an IBM 1620, had a hallway down the middle of it; now where I work there are often old computers lying around in the hallways)