[Roadmap] Redesigning first-run page

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Roadmap] Redesigning first-run page

Post by Wladimir Palant »

With the redesigned preferences dialog we should be able to improve the first-run page as well. Issues with the first-run page that we have right now:
  • We ask users to make a decision but provide too little information to make that decision.
  • The page is still too complicated for new users, in particular if "Add a different subscription" is clicked unintentionally (yes, it happens, I witnessed it first-hand a few days ago).
  • Warning if the user tries to close the tab is annoying.
  • Privacy protection doesn't get the attention it deserves.
  • Still ugly in Firefox Mobile, numerous issues there.
Here is a suggestion what this page might look like instead:

Notes:
  • The subscription is added automatically, this page merely informs the user about it.
  • The links on the filter lists (EasyList Germany and EasyPrivacy here) open subscription homepage.
  • "Adblock Plus filter preferences" link opens the new preferences dialog where removing the selected subscription should hopefully be trivial (for the people who prefer their own filters).
  • "Add privacy protection list" adds the list immediately, so the user can close the tab at any time.
  • "Learn more about Adblock Plus" opens Getting started page.
  • I'm not sure whether we should show this page in Firefox Mobile at all, given its limited configuration capabilities people are very unlikely to disagree with the automated choice that has been made.
  • The privacy list will be "Fanboy's Tracking/Stats Blocking" for Fanboy's List of course. All the other recommended filter lists are currently EasyList supplements so EasyPrivacy will be suggested. If Dr.Evil's list gets back as a recommendation - well, we will have to hide this text for it.
Please comment on this design in general (issues? improvements?) as well as the texts used.
Wladimir Palant

Re: Redesigning first-run page

The first feedback I got was that the page should stress that the installation was successful and make it more clear that no action is required. All the tweaks are optional. So here a new suggestion:

Michael

Post by Michael »

Could the list of supplementary subscriptions please be expanded to include lists for types of domains not covered by default, such as adverts on adult and P2P domains for Adversity and adult domains for EasyList?
Wladimir Palant

There are two concerns here:

a) We have to hardcode the types, already because we need to display localized messages to users.
b) We should not give users too many choices at this point, to prevent information overload.

I would argue that privacy protection is the most important feature to advertise here. Everything else can still be considered - but in the "Add filter subscription" dialog.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

How about an option to display all subscriptions that are marked as dependant on the users chosen "main" subscription :?:
Wladimir Palant

Wladimir Palant wrote:b) We should not give users too many choices at this point, to prevent information overload.
Wladimir Palant

Screenshot of the current implementation:
Text and look might change, the functionality will most likely stay the way it is now - additional options will have to be added in the release after 1.4.
SlimShady

Re: [Roadmap] Redesigning first-run page

Post by SlimShady »

About the "Advanced Options" and "Filter Preferences"... Does that mean clicking "Filter Preferences" triggers the Advanced Mode in the preferences dialog? Or just the default mode to select/update the filter subscription(s)?
Wladimir Palant

@SlimShady: Just the default mode - but this isn't implemented yet, everybody still gets "advanced mode" so far.
Wladimir Palant

This is now in the development builds (minus privacy protection part which will be rescheduled to the next release).
Wladimir Palant

Till Faida proposed a new design for the first-run page and I turned it into fancy ASCII art:
What's important here:
  • We got quite definitive feedback from multiple sources that we shouldn't be using jargon such as "filter lists". This screen avoids it by not mentioning filter lists at all. Edit: I replaced the image - Till made a suggestion on how we can credit the filter list authors nevertheless.
  • Mozilla asked us to clarify what non-intrusive ads mean in detail, without asking people to read the web page. Till tried very hard to put it all into a few sentences.
  • There is a simple way to add additional filter lists. Not sure whether my explanation of tracking is good enough for "average Joe" but it's a starting point.
Opinions? Suggestions?
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Awesome !! Hope to see this implemented ASAP :)
Instead of ‘web bugs’ can we just call them ‘technology’ but link to an article explaining tracking methods ?
Also the sentence should be "Adblock can do more than block ads"
Wladimir Palant

vinny86 wrote:Instead of ‘web bugs’ can we just call them ‘technology’ but link to an article explaining tracking methods ?
So, what would be the complete description? I cannot come up with anything talking about "technology".
vinny86 wrote:Also the sentence should be "Adblock can do more than block ads"
You mean, as a wordplay?
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

vinny86 wrote:Instead of ‘web bugs’ can we just call them ‘technology’ but link to an article explaining tracking methods ?
So, what would be the complete description? I cannot come up with anything talking about “technology”.

Instead of saying web bug in the description
Could say “Websites often contain invisible 3rd party technology....”
but link to a wikipedia article on web bugs.
Also the sentence should be “Adblock can do more than block ads”
You mean, as a wordplay?
Nah, just that “block” is more grammatically correct-er than “blocking” :) ( the sentence just above the tab interface)
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Instead of the tabs for different features could we use check boxes ?