'about Adblock Plus' webpage

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
maybee

'about Adblock Plus' webpage

Post by maybee »

Hello,
How about these sentence?
en/about
Adblock Plus is an open-source project addressing the problem of annoying and intrusive online advertising by putting users back in control.

by putting users back in control ---> by putting users in control

Users might not have originally the control of the Internet and then lost it. so I think "users have a control" or "gain control" is proper expression, not "back"
forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6881

and I thought the meaning of 'control' as well.
Annoyed by adverts? Troubled by tracking? Bothered by banners? Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web. You can also choose from over forty filter subscriptions to automatically configure the add-on for purposes ranging from removing online advertising to blocking all known malware domains.
I don't think users can gain or regain control of the Internet.
The concept of ‘control’ should be able to change a target directly or indirectly to the way that controler want to change. But Adblock Plus actually can’t change the Internet including ads, contents, etc. with ad-blocking software we can just redesign downloaded webpages on their local computers. in addition No one is in control of the Internet. this sentence is one of the basic philosophy of the Internet.

So, the new texts below is very good on the new homepage
Fully customizable — you are in control
Wladimir Palant

Re: 'about Adblock Plus' webpage

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I agree and I removed "back" on the "About" page. As to the homepage - it will be replaced soon anyway.
maybee

Post by maybee »

Short/long description for addons.mozilla.org
Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web.
Adblock Plus allows you to regain control of the internet and view the web the way you want to.
Adblock Plus gives users an opportunity that enable them to control information to get. users can obtain information selectively.
it means control of information to get, not control of the internet.
Wladimir Palant

From user's point of view - they control the internet.
maybee

Post by maybee »

From user's point of view - they control the internet.
I can grasp it just fine, thank you for the reply.
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) to serve billions of users worldwide.
The Internet is a global data communications system. It is a hardware and software infrastructure that provides connectivity between computers.
I know that the Internet is "public worldwide computer network system". and "control the internet" has a negative connotation to our country.
So I cared about the expression.
Wladimir Palant

Ah, I see - I didn't understand what this is about. Then maybe the Korean translation should simply be different? Or do you think that many Koreans will read the English version?
maybee

Post by maybee »

I think almost korean users use english version. If Korean translation should simply be different everything will go better.
maybee

Post by maybee »

I searched the keyword "control of the internet" for investigating its meanings in greater detail.
go to the result of searching : Link