Robbiecollie

Safari

Post by Robbiecollie »

Is there any chance in the future of an apple safari version
Till
ABP CEO

Re: Safari

Post by Till »

Yes. As soon as the Chrome version is out of beta it will be ported to Safari.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

and when adblock plus for chrome is finalized and when a safari version is available, you will be able to install it directly from Safari's extensions control panel. currently ABP for chrome is still in beta as noted on this Chrome extension page for Adblock Plus.
Print

Post by Print »

AdBlock for Chrome, OTOH, does have a Safari port, which can be installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery.
None

Post by None »

AdBlock for Chrome, OTOH, does have a Safari port, which can be installed from the Safari Extensions Gallery.
Maybe so, but why would we want to use anything that isn't Adblock Plus?
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

None wrote:Maybe so, but why would we want to use anything that isn't Adblock Plus?
Maybe because people don't care about the adblocker itself, but just want to use it. Besides the more adblockers the better, competition is good for everyone. If ABP would have a competitor on Firefox, these kind of things would not happen.
Howbs

Post by Howbs »

Has a Safari version of ABP been released yet?
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

not yet.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Hope it hurries. I prefer Safari on my Mac, but the current Safari AdBlock doesn't do as good a job as ABP.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

MadMax wrote:Hope it hurries. I prefer Safari on my Mac, but the current Safari AdBlock doesn't do as good a job as ABP.
It's because of an API issue that Chrome has resolved but Safari has not (and that Firefox has been free of for many years).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
anon

Post by anon »

Any changes in this with the launch of Safari 6?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

anon wrote:Any changes in this with the launch of Safari 6?
Maybe not, but I can't even test because Safari 6 is Mac-exclusive: https://code.google.com/p/adblockforchrome/wiki/GetHelp

More generally, consider asking your questions here, at the actual support forum for AdBlock: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... me-discuss
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Also, I don't think Safari has a very large market share so it would not make sense to spread the resources too thin... For developers and filter list maintainers.
mattad

Post by mattad »

Glad to hear that you are planning to port this wonderful extension to Safari! :D

Adbock for Safari is ok, but it can't block video ads on many websites like Adblock Plus can. The best way to avoid video ads is then using the HTML5 player instead of the Flashplayer where possible.
Hubird wrote:Also, I don't think Safari has a very large market share so it would not make sense to spread the resources too thin... For developers and filter list maintainers.
When you started supporting Chrome, Chrome did not have a relatively large market share like it has now.

Safari does not have a large market share overall and Apple doesn't seem support Windows anymore (Where's Safari 6 for Windows?) - but Safari certainly is a big player amongst Mac users.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

It does not make sense to put valuable resources into a browser that runs only on one operating system, not when the market share of this OS is at about 7%.

And if you take into account that out of this 7% only about 5.92% of users choose Safari then it makes even less sense.

Firefox, Opera and Chrome are all cross platform browsers.

Stats from http://www.findthebest.com/