some questions about website translation

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
knight00931

some questions about website translation

Post by knight00931 »

Hello, I've translated some pages to Chinese Traditional.
But I don't know why the HTML5 video can't display on http://adblockplus.org/zh_TW/firefox and the flag of Taiwan always shown nearby every link of translated pages?
Thanks. :D
Last edited by knight00931 on Sat May 14, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
knight00931

Re: some questions about website translation

Post by knight00931 »

BTW, I noticed this page zh_TW/filters can't be redirect from redirect?link=filterdoc&lang=zh-TW correctly. :shock:
knight00931

Post by knight00931 »

The flag issue seems fixed, but the installation link (安裝) on navigation bar still shows the US flag and links to http://adblockplus.org/en even the page was translated...
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

knight00931 wrote:But I don't know why the HTML5 video can't display on http://adblockplus.org/zh_TW/firefox and the flag of Taiwan always shown nearby every link of translated pages?
Because the server configuration expects a language to be two letters :)
Fixed.
knight00931 wrote:BTW, I noticed this page zh_TW/filters can't be redirect from redirect?link=filterdoc&lang=zh-TW correctly. :shock:
Yes, fixed this as well. The redirect is done by the server and the configuration isn't all that flexible. Now it will try both "zh" and "zh_TW" for the page language and will redirect if it finds any of them.
knight00931 wrote:The flag issue seems fixed
I actually noticed that one myself - when I copied zh_CN Anwiki locale into zh_TW I forgot to change language code so Anwiki was still thinking that page language is zh_CN. Consequently, all links to zh_TW were in an foreign language :)
knight00931 wrote:but the installation link (安裝) on navigation bar still shows the US flag and links to http://adblockplus.org/en even the page was translated...
Yeah, we are somewhat abusing Anwiki here. Fixed that as well.

Thank you for reporting these issues. If you notice any other abnormalities - please tell.
knight00931

Post by knight00931 »

Thanks very much.
I read "Why is it so difficult to add an option for ...?" on http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_project again, but still feel confused about
[...] it's simply guaranteed to perplex and eventually piss off the user.
What does [...] mean? :?:
Wladimir Palant

"[...]" simply means that something has been omitted - the original quotation is somewhat longer.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

Isn't it supposed to have only two dots? "[..]"
Wladimir Palant

Michael

Post by Michael »

In English we don't use square brackets around ellipses either...
Wladimir Palant

@Michael: Looks like you do:
If an ellipsis is meant to represent an omission, square brackets must surround the ellipsis to make it clear that there was no pause in the original quote
Granted, judging by the Wikipedia article this doesn't seem generally accepted, my use of it comes from German.
Michael

Post by Michael »

It may have been a point of contention in the past but, as far as I am aware, the current standard is not to use square brackets around ellipses. Bill Bryson's "Troublesome Words", for example, does not make any reference to surrounding ellipses with square brackets and I cannot recall seeing this arrangement in text elsewhere.
The Modern Language Association (MLA), however, used to indicate that an ellipsis must include spaces before and after each dot in all uses. If an ellipsis is meant to represent an omission, square brackets must surround the ellipsis to make it clear that there was no pause in the original quote: [ . . . ]. Currently, the MLA has removed the requirement of brackets in its style handbooks. However, some maintain that the use of brackets is still correct because it clears confusion.
Wladimir Palant

Ok, you have me convinced - I removed the brackets in the English translation :)
knight00931

Post by knight00931 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:"[...]" simply means that something has been omitted - the original quotation is somewhat longer.
Understand,I've updated,thanks.