[Done] New icons for Adblock Plus

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Guest2011

Re: New icons for Adblock Plus

Post by Guest2011 »

It's not ugly but other popular addons use bright colours, similar to the older icon, so it doesnt really blend in imo.
Is it possible to use the old icon somehow whether manually or as a feature?

Thanks.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@wtf:
Wladimir Palant wrote:Yes, sounds like nobody has serious objections - it's only a minor improvement (especially small sizes) but we should start using it.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@wtf:
Wladimir Palant wrote:Yes, sounds like nobody has serious objections - it's only a minor improvement (especially small sizes) but we should start using it.
Its not a small improvement though is it, its a blurred mess that looks terrible where it counts in the navigation bar at 16x16. I'd say the red is too dark and clashes but thats just my opinion, it being a blurred mess is just a fact though. You can't even tell it says ABP without getting close to the screen and squinting.

A friend made them or whatever, I understand the desire to pretend its all good. I once had it with the old lady that lived next door, always making me cakes, I wish I'd just told her she was a horrible cook. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the work though Wladimir, whoever else works on it, the list maintainers etc. much appreciated.

How do we change back to the old icon ?
Alan

Post by Alan »

Wladimir Palant wrote:My main concern (as usually) are the small 16x16 icons which is the most used size now thanks to Firefox 4.
Sorry to be late to the party. The new 16x16 icons are worse than the old ones: the red icon looks dirty and the "ABP" is unreadable. The gray icon is so dark that I have trouble differentiating it from the green one.
Till wrote:I looks like nobody has any objections.
Michael and Hubird said the 16x16 icons are worse than the old ones.

Could we have the old 16x16 icons back?
Wladimir Palant

Here you go: http://userstyles.org/styles/50221/adbl ... plus-1-3-8 (easiest to use if you install Stylish but you can also copy the code into your userChrome.css file).
namad

Post by namad »

I hate this new icon so much that I have uninstalled the addon, reinstalled the older version, registered on this forum and made this post. I know no one really cares... but... the higher quality icon what with its shading instead of a solid color is more distracting and "busy" to my eye.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

Where's the big icon for add-on manager?

Wladimir Palant

@anonymous74100: As noted somewhere else - having a 48x48 icon in the add-on manager while staying compatible with Firefox 3.6 requires a bunch of hacks that I'm not happy with. It's just not worth it, will do it when we drop compatibility with Firefox 3.6.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Here you go: http://userstyles.org/styles/50221/adbl ... plus-1-3-8 (easiest to use if you install Stylish but you can also copy the code into your userChrome.css file).
Thank you. Is it compatible with http://userstyles.org/styles/44467/adbl ... hitelisted?

Edit: I'm using Stylish.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:will do it when we drop compatibility with Firefox 3.6
Is there any reason why you haven't yet dropped Firefox 3.6 (and Firefox 4) :?:
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I'd imagine Firefox 4 support will be around for a while yet (I don't think there is much to be gained from dropping support for it).
Michael

Post by Michael »

Alan wrote: Michael and Hubird said the 16x16 icons are worse than the old ones.
I didn't, or at least didn't intend to. The loss of resolution I was referring to was relative to the larger sizes of the new logo, not the older version.
Michael wrote: The white outline seems to disappear on the disabled version of the 16x16 icon, and there is an unfortunate loss of detail at this resolution, as is to be expected. However, this is probably just me nitpicking, as I definitely think that the update is an improvement to the Adblock Plus logo.
Wladimir Palant

@Alan: Yes, using the two user styles together should work fine.

@anonymous74100: Firefox 3.6 is still supported by Mozilla and judging by the current numbers it is still being used by roughly 22% of our users. And while Firefox 4 is no longer supported, around 17% of our users didn't update yet. Are you suggesting that we abandon 40% of our user base? Why?

@Hubird: You are right, Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 are very similar and dropping support wouldn't give us anything.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Are you suggesting that we abandon 40% of our user base? Why?
Because people who use outdated software don't deserve updated addons for it.

Personally I hate old software and people who use it.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Michael wrote:
Alan wrote: Michael and Hubird said the 16x16 icons are worse than the old ones.
I didn't, or at least didn't intend to. The loss of resolution I was referring to was relative to the larger sizes of the new logo, not the older version.
Michael wrote: The white outline seems to disappear on the disabled version of the 16x16 icon, and there is an unfortunate loss of detail at this resolution, as is to be expected. However, this is probably just me nitpicking, as I definitely think that the update is an improvement to the Adblock Plus logo.
Thank you for the clarification, Michael. I'm sorry I misrepresented your opinion.