Adblock Plus for Chrome unable to block video adverts

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Michael

Adblock Plus for Chrome unable to block video adverts

Post by Michael »

Since YouTube has been updated there have been many reports that Adblock Plus for Chrome does not block video adverts. This is a known issue (YouTube adverts were only blocked through the use of a hack that no longer functions since an update to the website) that results from a lack of support in Chrome for extensions to block items loaded by plug-ins. When the API that permits this is implemented I am reasonably certain that Wladimir will permit Adblock Plus for Chrome to block videos when he returns from holiday. In the meantime, I would simply advise using the Firefox version of Adblock Plus, which is able to block videos. There is no point in continuing to post about domains on which Adblock Plus for Chrome does not block video adverts - we very likely already know about them.

P.S. Would a moderator please consider making this topic a sticky?
IceDogg

Re: Adblock Plus for Chrome unable to block video adverts

Post by IceDogg »

Done, Wladimir Palant can remove later if it's no longer necessary or if he wants to make it different or something.
Noggie

Post by Noggie »

Michael wrote:Since YouTube has been updated there have been many reports that Adblock Plus for Chrome does not block video adverts. This is a known issue (YouTube adverts were only blocked through the use of a hack that no longer functions since an update to the website)
I have not seen any issues in youtube ads not being blocked. Explain more please. Do you have any example links ?
Michael

Post by Michael »

There have been a number of reports that the inbuilt filters Adblock Plus for Chrome uses to block adverts from YouTube no longer function - I have not personally investigated in great detail as I am not aware of any debugging tools for the browser, and am therefore unable to provide example links, but am reasonably familiar with the underlying issue. The main message I intend to convey is that video adverts should not be reported if they appear while using Adblock Plus for Chrome, as the upcoming implementation of resource blocking within the browser should permit existing filters to remove the unwanted content.
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

I made a test version of ABP using webRequest that seems to work pretty well. I imagine whatever Wladimir is working on is even better. Looking forward to the stable Chrome including the webRequest API!
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

ttjoseph wrote:I made a test version of ABP using webRequest that seems to work pretty well. I imagine whatever Wladimir is working on is even better. Looking forward to the stable Chrome including the webRequest API!
Mind sharing with us!! Please Please!!

Post by Guest »

Yes Please!! A developmental version that we can install, as long as we have experimental api flag enabled.!
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

OK, here is my proof of concept quick hack. You need to have the dev Chrome with experimental API enabled in about:flags (don't forget to restart Chrome after enabling). This is not "official" code and probably won't be committed to the source tree - I'm of course deferring to Wladimir's implementation. I just put this together on a whim to see how well things might work and it may be buggy. Please don't complain about it.

http://adthwart.qux.us/files/wr-abp.crx

If you want to see the source code, unzip the file.

Post by Guest »

Love it! Video ad's blocked.

Post by Guest »

Only problem I'm facing is a

Uncaught Error: QUOTA_EXCEEDED_ERR: DOM Exception 22

I'm unable to update my main Adblock list. I remember reading a post on that error, and thought this was fixed?
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

This hasn't been fixed actually - the unlimitedStorage permission apparently doesn't apply to localStorage. Possibly due to using a whole lot of filter lists, so I would suggest clear the extension's localStorage via the Chrome WebKit inspector or possibly by having Chrome delete all cookies, then choose only a few lists to use.

Post by Guest »

That is exactly what is going on. The extension is updating the filter lists itself when I open the options page, and for an odd reason doubling the downloaded lists in the local storage (via Resources in Inspector). I've just had to open Inspector and delete the older filters in local storage, and since have had no problem.

Hopefully down the road this can be repaired, as inexperienced users will obviously not have a clue on how to patch the problem at hand. Thank you for uploading this version, it reminds me of having Firefox once again.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

@ttjoseph
I am unable to download it. Clicking the link causes little bounce in new tab button like new tab is opening and then nothing happens. I am using latest Chromium with Experimental Extensions enabled but nothing happens.

It was actually another flag "New Downloads UI", which was causing issue. Installed now. Testing.

Thanks Man...
noname

Post by noname »

Works great. Seems to be no slow down at all with the new api.
nameuser

Post by nameuser »

ttjoseph wrote:OK, here is my proof of concept quick hack. You need to have the dev Chrome with experimental API enabled in about:flags (don't forget to restart Chrome after enabling). This is not "official" code and probably won't be committed to the source tree - I'm of course deferring to Wladimir's implementation. I just put this together on a whim to see how well things might work and it may be buggy. Please don't complain about it.

http://adthwart.qux.us/files/wr-abp.crx

If you want to see the source code, unzip the file.
Thank you! This is what I've been waiting for to test. I can't wait for ABPC to officially implement this.

Now all I need is for the author of ScriptNo ( a NoScript like extension for Chrome ) to release his experimental build using the webRequest API.