[Done] Yet Another Preferences Design

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

If it wasn't a valid filter, it might have moved somewhere else in the list, which would make it harder to find
The selection moves as well however, you never need to find the filter you just edited.
How about using this interface, and using the inline tag editor when a user selects a filter on the list to edit, but having a 'Filters->add filter' menu option that opens a new dialog box?
Sorry, that's a horrible idea. Opening new dialogs should always be prevented whenever possible.
VF

Post by VF »

Yes, it was horrible. Still, it seemed better than the alternative to me - I may not be a typical user, I suppose
Wladimir Palant

This discussion isn't purely theoretical any more, a new development build is there: http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp7080-adbl ... .html#7080
VF

Post by VF »

...The 'new filter' box at the top is still there for me after I upgraded.
Wladimir Palant

@VF: Then you don't have the development build installed. This box isn't there, that's for sure.
VF

Post by VF »

Oh, jeez, I just upgraded to 7.0.2 and didn't notice 7.0.2+ was different. Sorry.
Wladimir Palant

Btw, adding an icon inside a dropdown list is harder than I thought. Does anybody know extensions that do it? Address bar in Firefox doesn't count, it isn't a real dropdown list.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Btw, adding an icon inside a dropdown list is harder than I thought. Does anybody know extensions that do it? Address bar in Firefox doesn't count, it isn't a real dropdown list.
I don't see them in any of MY extension's dropdown boxes. Plenty of dropdowns ... no icons.
Fox

Post by Fox »

It's still pretty easy to create new rules for already blocked items, very good.

Only thing i now do not like is, i can't scroll anymore when i make new filters.
Also switching windows add's it, and i have to double click it again when i edit it more.
I did do some scrolling and switching windows when i added new Element hiding rules.

1st Dev. build with it, but it seems to me that i did get more clicks when i add new Element hiding rules.

If this stays and i think it will:)
Is it good or bad idea, if we move Add filter, Ok, Cancel and Help before filters box.
chewey

Post by chewey »

Wladimir Palant wrote:a new development build is there
Very nice.
Just one thing: Would it be possible to make the editor activate on single click when a line is already selected?

The "Add filter..." line and the button to activate it are pretty far apart from each other - I think this could confuse new ABP users (experienced ones use "return" anyway :-)).
And as "Add filter..." is already preselected when the preferences panel is opened, I think it would be nice to activate editing with a single click - I can easily imagine users misinterpreting the "Add filter..." as a button, and wondering why clicking it doesn't do anything.
Wladimir Palant

Fox wrote:Is it good or bad idea, if we move Add filter, Ok, Cancel and Help before filters box.
A bad one. Buttons belong at the bottom of the dialog.

@chewey: Yes, I forgot to implement this. A single click on the "Add filter" row was supposed to start the editor.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Btw, adding an icon inside a dropdown list is harder than I thought. Does anybody know extensions that do it? Address bar in Firefox doesn't count, it isn't a real dropdown list.
Tb search box has a type of dropdown, with an inline X to do clear which appears only upon text input, which I'm sure you can modify to exit.. This is a very good ergonomic for this type of input box.

I have to say though, I wish we could solve the Apply problem, even if inelegantly. It's incredibly annoying. To the point where the platform independence goal is overridden - I just want to apply the changed filter without closing the Prefs dialog.
Fox

Post by Fox »

alta88 wrote:I have to say though, I wish we could solve the Apply problem, even if inelegantly. It's incredibly annoying. To the point where the platform independence goal is overridden - I just want to apply the changed filter without closing the Prefs dialog.
I wanna be able to Cancel added filters, that is important.
Wladimir Palant

@alta88: This search box isn't a real dropdown list either...

I really don't know how to add an "Apply" button and still keep the UI consistent...
Peng

Post by Peng »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I really don't know how to add an "Apply" button and still keep the UI consistent...
What? Why not?