Linux / Java / ABP Issue

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
vato

Linux / Java / ABP Issue

Post by vato »

I'm seeing very strange behaviour from Firefox, using latest ABP 1.3.9, currently running dev 1.3.10a.3096. If i visit this website, http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp Firefox locks up a good 30 seconds or so, and the following output is given if ran through a terminal:

Code: Select all

Exception in thread "main" netscape.javascript.JSException: Plugin instance for applet ID 1 was already released
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.LiveConnectSupport.getInfo(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.LiveConnectSupport.shutdown(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMInstance.unregisterApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMInstance.recycleAppletID(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.JVMManager.recycleAppletID(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.MozillaPlugin.stopApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.main.server.MozillaPlugin.destroy(Unknown Source)
This issue ceases to exist if i disable the adblock extension.

I'm running Fedora Linux 15 64bit, and 64bit firefox. I've also tried running an i686 copy of firefox, but same issue. I also have a netbook running 32bit Debian Sid, I can produce the exact same issue there on Iceweasel (Debian rebranded Firefox).

After waiting the 30 seconds or so, the page will load, but the java content does not correctly show, for example if I have 2 tabs open and one of them is Google, it would look like this: http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5127/firefoxeu.png

Wouldn't be so much of an issue if that was the only website affected, but often times, when I visit any java enabled page, Firefox will crash, I then relaunch it and it'll load the second time, this is reproducable 100%, very annoying. Issue does not exist with ABP disabled.

It's not an issue with my java install, as I also use Chrome (with adblock also) and it runs flawlessly.

Again, disabling ABP on Firefox eliminates this issue completely, and it seems to only affect Linux.
vato

Re: Linux / Java / ABP Issue

Post by vato »

I can also reproduce this bug with this addon trash/testpolicy.xpi

What does this mean? Who do I need to report this bug to?
Michael

Post by Michael »

This bug looks superficially similar (although I am no developer) to one that was reportedly fixed several months ago. What browser version do you use? Does updating to Firefox 5.0 resolve the issue?
vato

Post by vato »

Running the latest Firefox 5.0 from Fedora repos. Also tried using firefox directly from mozilla.com, no luck :(
wildnux

Post by wildnux »

I can still confirm the bug in firefox 9.0 for linux, (opensuse 12.1) and abp 2.0.3

When I go to the java test page, it causes firefox to freeze. I have to kill firefox to use it again. Java works fine if I disable this addon. I believe, this is not the only addon that causes the freeze. I think greasemonkey also does the same, though I cannot conform at the moment. (will try to report back).
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@wildnux: I gave up reporting Java issues, they never get fixed :-(
Our best bet should be waiting for Java applets to die. They mostly did already and I have been running my computer without Java for a few years already (which is very advisable from the security point of view).
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Do you use the Sun/Oracle distribution, OpenJDK, or IcedTea?
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.

Post by Guest »

lewisje wrote:Do you use the Sun/Oracle distribution, OpenJDK, or IcedTea?
I am using oracle java version 1.6 update 30
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Guest wrote:
lewisje wrote:Do you use the Sun/Oracle distribution, OpenJDK, or IcedTea?
I am using oracle java version 1.6 update 30
Try switching; the Oracle distribution will soon be removed from most Linux distributions anyway after the licensing change.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@lewisje: Last time I checked it was the only one that was usable - OpenJDK had issues that were far worse. But maybe things got better now, don't know.