Google Chrome 17 and adblock

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
tancrackers

Google Chrome 17 and adblock

Post by tancrackers »

What is being implemented by Chrome 17 that is allowing adblock to better block text ads?
I've been testing the developmental build with the experimental extension api flag and am fairly pleased with the results.
The extension seems to slow down chrome a tiny bit, but I'm sure that'll be fixed by full release.
A question I have, though, is I use ghostery and while google custom search text ads are getting blocked without fail, ghostery says that they are still coming through. It does so when the number on the ghost icon turns red and it highlights google custom search as the culprit. So is this experimental version of adblock with the new api actually working or is it an inaccurate reading on ghostery's part?

Also, I apologize if this is seen as advertising, but this site is very good for testing adblock's text blocking:
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml
The ad appears under quick links towards the middle of the page. Adblock hides it usually, but sometimes it gets through. But if you click the poke-earth and b/w pokedex repeatedly, the ad gets through more often. I used this method to test out the experimental api.
mapx

Re: Google Chrome 17 and adblock

Post by mapx »

releases/adblock-plus-12-beta-for-googl ... e-released

"Better blocking thanks to webRequest API"

for the speed of your chrome / iron browser you could remove ghostery and use:

easylist + easy privacy

or

fanboy adblock list + fanboy tracking (+ Annoyance Block List)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37533397/tracki ... _graph.png
tancrackers

Post by tancrackers »

Thank you very much mapx!
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

The text ads are still being downloaded, but then they're hidden, so Ghostery or some similar extension will report that they are coming through.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

lewisje wrote:The text ads are still being downloaded, but then they're hidden
If the text ads are part of the web page - yes. If they are coming from a third-party, via a script - with webRequest API they will be blocked reliably (no longer subject to timing issues). On serebii.net it's the latter.
EboO

Post by EboO »

ABP is enough to block social buttons and others web bugs blocked by ghostery ? (by using easyprivacy and easylist)
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

To block social buttons, use a supplement specifically for them, like Adversity Antisocial or Fanboy's Annoyances; both are compatible with EasyList, which is good because there is no equivalent subscription in the EasyList family.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
EboO

Post by EboO »

So with easylist (and easyprivacy) and antisocial i've got a combo more effective than ghostery ?
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

Yes :)
EboO

Post by EboO »

Really good news, thanks :)
EboO

Post by EboO »

When the v17 will be released does the interface of firefox and chrome will be unified ?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

We are working on that - but I cannot promise you that we will be done before Chrome 17 release.
EboO

Post by EboO »

It's in project, that's enough. We can wait until v18 :)