[Done] Setting subscription titles automatically

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] Setting subscription titles automatically

Post by Wladimir Palant »

This started with a proposal by Hubird here: forum/viewtopic.php?p=55360#p55360. In the end the proposal seems to be the following:
  • Subscriptions should be able to specify their title using "! Title: Foo Bar" comment.
  • Adblock Plus will set the title automatically whenever it sees a comment like this in a subscription.
  • Once the title has been set automatically it can no longer be modified by the user.
  • Subscriptions that don't have this comment (e.g. local files the user is "subscribed" to) can still be renamed by the user.
Goals:
  • Allow subscriptions to maintain a "brand identity".
  • Make instructions like "Open Preferences, find Fanboy's List and click Update filters" simpler because the subscription name is a constant.
  • Prevent user confusion in case of redirects. For example, we still have some RU AdList users who believe that they are using MORPEH's List (the latter was discontinued and redirected to RU AdList at some point).
anonymous74100

Re: [Roadmap] Setting subscription titles automatically

Post by anonymous74100 »

Will subscription links still be required to have "title" (and "requiresTitle") :?:
Latvian List maintainer
Wladimir Palant

Yes, we need to display some title before the subscription is downloaded.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

When can this change be expected i.e. how soon should I put it in the subscription?
Latvian List maintainer
Wladimir Palant

See en/roadmap#abp_2_1
It should be in the development builds soon, not sure about the release date however.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

Will the comment be hidden like the checksum and homepage or will it be visible :?:
Latvian List maintainer
Wladimir Palant

I plan to hide all "special" comments.
anonymous74100

Post by anonymous74100 »

The expiration comment is a "special" comment and it's not hidden. Are you going to hide it?
Latvian List maintainer
Wladimir Palant

Yes. The word "plan" implies that it isn't being done now but will be done in future...
famlam

Post by famlam »

Maybe I'm not searching well, but could you please put this somewhere in the FAQ? The FAQ does mention the existence of 'expires:', 'redirect:' and 'checksum:', but homepage: and title: haven't been documented yet, AFAIK. (And maybe other of such things too, like 'last modified' or 'licence' in EasyList, I don't know if they have special meanings in ABP)
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Done] Setting subscription titles automatically

No, you found all of them - currently we recognize redirect, homepage, title, expires and checksum. The documentation needs to be updated but I would rather see a new document describing everything that's important for subscription authors. Unfortunately, so far I didn't manage to write it so maybe it is better to update the FAQ in the short term...