How to block Text-enhance pop up ads

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
mkdigital

How to block Text-enhance pop up ads

Post by mkdigital »

This is a new one for me. A word is highlighted and appears to look like a link however if you hover over it or your mouse fly's across the word an annoying ad pops up. I am on this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/lj/ . This is not the only site that I have encountered this though. So how do we stop this pop up from popping up. I have ensured that the filters I use are up to date, as of this morning after first encountering this phenomenon.
mkdigital

Re: How to block Text-enhance pop up ads

Post by mkdigital »

And yes I have gone through and blocked the Text-Enhance with the filters and restarted Firefox but still have the pop ups when crossing the 'linked' words
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I could not see any problems after a quick look.

Can you please provide an issue report link (click on the ABP icon, report issue on this page...).
antmoose

Post by antmoose »

I found that it's something I inadvertently installed when downloading a video codec called codec-c. It tried to get me to download a bunch of unwanted software during the installation, but I didn't accept any of it -- however, after I downloaded it, Text Enhance suddenly appeared, to wreck my browsing experience. I clicked on the wrench (I use Chrome as my browser), went to tools > extensions and disabled codec-c. Voilà, no more Text Enhance annoyance. I suppose that also means some video sites won't work for me, since I disabled the codec. But I can live with that.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

You probably were prompted to download it in order to watch videos at veehd, but you really just need to make an account and log in before watching a video: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/850509
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
NoMoreText-Enhance

Post by NoMoreText-Enhance »

@antmoose Thank you sincerely! May I suggest also that yes, although some video sites won't work for you, you could always enable it just to watch those videos, and then disable it afterwards.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Text-enhance seems to be part of Shockwave Flash plugin. When I disable it, no more text-enhance, but the problem is, without Shockwave flash, there are alot of sites that don't show properly. GRRRR.....I can't get AdBlock to work on Firefox 12.0 so I have no idea what to do.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Try a dev build of ABP see if you have any luck

Link below

en/development-builds
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Sarah wrote:Text-enhance seems to be part of Shockwave Flash plugin. When I disable it, no more text-enhance, but the problem is, without Shockwave flash, there are alot of sites that don't show properly. GRRRR.....I can't get AdBlock to work on Firefox 12.0 so I have no idea what to do.
It requires Flash but is not part of it.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
epeaches

Post by epeaches »

:evil: Hackers. I blocked the site of the in text ad and I block any associated site linked to them. Generally, you can find out how to do this on your computer. Sites that are allowed and sites that are not allowed. Sites that are accepted and sites that are not accepted and blocked. I don't know how well it will work but it's working for now.

peaches :arrow:
Pip

Post by Pip »

There's a new one called "Codec-V" now.

Post by Guest »

mkdigital wrote:This is a new one for me. A word is highlighted and appears to look like a link however if you hover over it or your mouse fly's across the word an annoying ad pops up. I am on this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/lj/ . This is not the only site that I have encountered this though. So how do we stop this pop up from popping up. I have ensured that the filters I use are up to date, as of this morning after first encountering this phenomenon.
I had the same problem, disabled FlashPlayer plugin and it's fine again.
toekneejee

Post by toekneejee »

antmoose wrote:I found that it's something I inadvertently installed when downloading a video codec called codec-c. It tried to get me to download a bunch of unwanted software during the installation, but I didn't accept any of it -- however, after I downloaded it, Text Enhance suddenly appeared, to wreck my browsing experience. I clicked on the wrench (I use Chrome as my browser), went to tools > extensions and disabled codec-c. Voilà, no more Text Enhance annoyance. I suppose that also means some video sites won't work for me, since I disabled the codec. But I can live with that.
Add Vid-Saver to the disable list. that is what caused it for me; those sneaky bastards
I just removed text enhance :)

Post by I just removed text enhance :) »

http://text-enhance.com/uninstall.php

this contains instructions for all browsers.