ABP is eating disk space - 237 pattern inis in 6 days

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
snuffy

ABP is eating disk space - 237 pattern inis in 6 days

Post by snuffy »

They're causing the disk where firefox is installed to run out of space. Recently updated to FF15.0.1 and ABP2.1.1 from FF12.0 and ABP2.0.3 and didn't have this problem before. What could be causing this behavior and how can I stop it.
snuffy

Re: ABP is eating disk space - 237 pattern inis in 6 days

Post by snuffy »

Following the advice given by vinny86 in this thread seems to have stopped a new numbered pattern ini being created every hour.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11127
Not a bug
those .ini files are used to back up filters in case you want to go back to a earlier version
you can make ABP forget the number of hits.

go to about:config
extensions.adblockplus.patternsbackups change value from 5 to 0
extensions.adblockplus.savestats double click to change to false.
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

I spoke too soon, it's started saving numbered inis again. One an hour at first, now twice an hour. How many versions do I have to go back to be rid of this? Anyone have any other ideas?
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

Checking into it further I see I also have a problem with multiple numbered sessionstore.js files in the FireFox profile folder dating from when I updated from FF3.5 to FF12.0. The multiple numbered pattern.inis started, I think, when I updated ABP from v2.0.3 to v2.1.2 after updating to FF15.0.1.

I found a post by someone who also had the problem with multiple numbered session.js files and guessed that the problem was caused by his anti-virus on-access scanning.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 8&t=562277
I assume Antivir "locks" .js files upon access, in order to scan them, causing FF to create a new sessionstore.js file.
So I made an exception to my ant-virus on-access scanning for the FireFox "profile" and "adblockplus" folders. This seems to have put an end to the creation of multiple numbered session.js and pattern.ini files in their respective folders.

I have a version Eset NOD32 as my anti-virus that hasn't had it's virus definitions updated since 8/11/11, which is more than 10 months before I updated from FF3.5, so I don't think it's that the files have suddenly started being identified as a problem by NOD32. My computer is old without a lot of memory, which may be the main factor in this problem. I'm running a Northwood 2.4B with 1.5GB of memory. I also tend to keep a dozen or two or three tabs open in FireFox at a time - which uses a lot of memory. Always have Skype and OrbitDownloader running with Comodo and NOD32 as well.

It's only been about 12 hours since I made the changes to NOD32 - I'll update if the problem rears up again, or in several days if it hasn't.
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

Making exceptions to the FF "profile" and its "adblockplus" sub-folder seems to have done the trick. It also works to just make exceptions only for "session.js" and "session-1.js" files in the "profile" folder, and "patterns.ini" and "patterns-1.ini" in the "adblockplus" sub-folder.

I really think the fault is with FireFox and ABP though - they worked as they should in previous versions despite antivirus on-access scanning with the same setup.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Could someone walk me through the creation of such exceptions? The ini files are a killer for me, too. Thank you, John